Are you in a doubt regarding your pregnancy status?
Whether you know it or not, you might be showing some early signs of pregnancy…
Have you missed your periods? Are you confused whether you are pregnant or not?
Well, the pregnancy test can clear all your doubts, but then even before conducting the pregnancy test; there are certain indicators of pregnancy in the form of signs and symptoms. Early signs and symptoms of pregnancy commence in the first few weeks after conception. The presence of these signs and symptoms can help one confirm their pregnancy status.
Though missed periods is the earliest sign and symptom of pregnancy but apart of this classical symptom there are few other early signs and symptoms of pregnancy. Some of them are as follows:
1. Breast – Breast may become tender, swollen, sore, heavy or sensitive due to the increased blood flow which is caused by the hormonal changes occurring during the early stage.
2. Areola – Due to hormonal surge, darkening of areolas (area surrounding the nipples) appear.
3. Morning Sickness – Morning sickness is nausea and vomiting associated with pregnancy which can commence as early as three weeks after conception. Morning sickness is caused due to the hormonal changes and can be triggered due to several factors.
4. Smell – Sensitivity to smell occurs.
5. Urination – Frequency of urination increases in around two to three weeks post conception. Frequency in urination is caused by a hormone known as hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin).
6. Bloating – Increase in estrogen and progesterone causes several women to swell early during pregnancy.
7. Cravings and aversions – Hormonal changes may give rise to food cravings and aversions.
8. Heartburn – Heartburn is a pregnancy symptom which is frequently experienced. Few females experience it in their initial few weeks of pregnancy.
9. Basal Body Temperature – The basal body temperature (body temperature when you first wake up in the morning) slightly increases after ovulation and remains at the same level till the next period. Continued increase of basal body temperature for more than two weeks indicates pregnancy.
11. Slight Bleeding – Small quantity of vaginal bleeding or spotting is sometimes observed as one of the first signs of pregnancy; this is known as implantation bleeding. Implantation bleeding occurs when the fertilized egg attaches to the lining of the uterus. Implantation bleeding occurs around the time of menstrual period and this bleeding is much lighter as compared to menstrual bleeding.
12. Uterine cramps – Few females, in early pregnancy experience slight uterine cramps. This pain can be confusing with the menstrual pains as it appears around the same time when you would expect your periods.
13. Mood swings – Mood swings can be contributed to the hormonal flush during the early pregnancy.
14. Headache – Sudden increase of hormones causes headaches.
15. Fatigue – In the early stage or pregnancy, there is a rise in the progesterone levels, which can make the female sleepy and tired.
16. Dizziness – Pregnancy causes low blood pressure resulting in dizziness.
17. Digestive system – Due to the hormonal changes the digestive system slows down leading to constipation. Few females also experience diarrhoea.
18. Abdominal twinges – Sensation as if abdomen is pulled, pinched or twinges.
19. Cervical mucus – Quantity of cervical mucus increases. In early pregnancy the mucus may be thin and slippery which will gradually thicken as the progesterone increases.
20. Thrush – Thrush appears due to increased progesterone levels.
21. Mouth – Dryness of mouth appears. Thirst is increased.
22. Taste – Sour or metallic taste in the mouth due to increased progesterone levels is experienced.
23. Saliva – Increased salivation occurs.
24. Dreams – Weird or vivid dreams occur during the first few weeks of pregnancy. Dreams during pregnancy increases due to hormonal surge.
25. Backache – Back pain occurs even in the early stage of pregnancy due to the hormones which relaxes the back ligaments making it painful.
26. Hips and Legs – Legs & hips may also ache due to hormonal changes.
27. Nose – Running nose may appear in the first few weeks of pregnancy. Nose bleeding is a common occurrence during pregnancy.
28. Appetite – Either loss of appetite or increase of appetite occurs.
29. Acne – Acne can be one of the first signs of pregnancy. They occur due to the hormonal changes in early pregnancy.
It is not necessary that one must experience these early signs and symptoms of pregnancy, there are chances that one can be pregnant even without experiencing any of these signs and symptoms. But then, do keep a check of these symptoms in case you miss your periods.