World Health Organization has declared Coronavirus or COVID – 19 as a global pandemic. Everyone is finding ways to stay away from this pandemic and boosting your immunity is of prime importance in keeping this virus at bay. Strengthening the immune system helps reduce or prevent the risk of infections to these diseases…
Tips to boost immunity…
There are a few key measures which can be undertaken to improve the immunity against COVID-19…
1/9. Consume immunity boosting foods
1. Consume a balanced diet containing abundant vegetables, whole grains, and fruits. Fruits and vegetables have immunity-boosting capabilities hence, their regular consumption is vital.
2. Some of the foods that possess immune-boosting properties are turmeric, garlic, amla, ginger, black cumin, basil leaves, citrus fruits, carrot, spinach, tomato, broccoli, dark green leafy vegetables, etc.
3. Essential vitamins and minerals are required to boost immunity. Supplementation such as Vitamins C, D, A, E, zinc, magnesium, selenium, omega 3 & 6 fatty acids acts as immunity-boosting minerals and vitamins.
4. Probiotics like Yakult, yogurt, and fermented foods are essential for nutrient absorption by the body.
2/9. Take adequate sleep
1. 7-8 hours of sleep is essential to help the body build immunity.
2. A sleep-deprived immune system fails to avoid or fight off infections.
3. During sleep, the human body naturally repairs and recovers, from all the tear and wear.
4. Inadequate sleep leaves the body tired and decreases the immunity to fight against viruses such as COVID-19.
3/9. Be physically active
1. Physical activity and exercise are linked with better immune function. They are known to fight against infections.
2. Regular exercise helps enhance metabolism, it has a direct association with body immunity. They help in flushing out the toxins from the body.
3. Indoor or outdoor activities can be performed. Even while staying home during this pandemic, indoor activities such as jogging on the spot, rope-skipping, push-ups, forward lunges, and front plank can be performed.
4/9. Manage your stress
1. Stress is known to produce an adverse effect on immunity. Excessive stress releases cortisol, a hormone which disturbs the response to the immediate surroundings and makes the body susceptible to infections. Hence, to boost immunity it is essential to relieve your stress.
2. Stress can be relieved by practicing yoga, meditation, and pranayama. Deep breathing exercises and yoga helps in calming the mind and reducing anxiety. Meditation relaxes the mind of all the external chaos and calms the nerves distractions.
5/9. Stay hydrated
1. Staying hydrated is the best way to increase immunity as it flushes out the toxins from the body.
2. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day. Drinking hot water eliminates the toxins from the body and helps in relieving nasal congestion, sore throats, improves circulation, calms the central nervous system, aids in digestion, etc.
3. Intake of fresh fruit juices and coconut water too are recommended.
6/9. Avoid smoking and alcohol intake
1. Smoking, alcohol, and other addictive substances should be avoided. Smoking and other addictive substances weaken the respiratory system, while alcohol decreases immunity thus, making the body more susceptible to the virus and increasing the risk of infection.
2. Smoking and other abuse substances weaken the lung capacity and destroy the cells lining the respiratory tracts. These cells are vital in fighting against viruses that enter through the nasal orifices.
3. In case, one is dependent on it then, it should be practiced in moderation, as sudden withdrawal can be risky.
7/9. Homoeopathy can work
Homoeopathic medicines can help boost immunity without producing any side effects. There is no specific homeopathic medicine, which is used for boosting immunity. The homeopathic medicine, Arsenic Album was considered as a general immune- booster for COVID-19 but it is always recommended to consult a homeopathic physician before taking any medication. Best-suited medicine and dose are suggested as per the symptoms and characteristics of the individual. Homoeopathic medicines can boost up immunity in minimal duration. They help strengthen immunity naturally and develop natural defenses against harmful viruses and bacteria.
8/9. Ayurveda helps…
Ayurveda plays a major role in building the strength of the body and mind to cope against several infections. There are various treatment options available in Ayurveda for enhancing immunity such as immunomodulators or local and systemic interventions. Various kadhas are administered to enhance the immunity and keep the risk of infections at bay.
9/9. Yoga really works…
Practicing yoga is an effective way to reinforce the immune system and calm the mind. Yoga helps in strengthening the physical body and keeping the infections away by boosting the immune system. To enhance the body’s natural defense mechanisms, Yoga routine must be followed regularly. There are specific yoga poses that help boost and strengthen the immune system.
Hence, to enhance your immunity, do adopt the above-mentioned tips or systems, which will help you boost your immunity and help fight and prevent infections.
Article contributed by Dr. Varsha Sharma, MD (Hom). Consulting Homoeopathic Physician. Treating various diseases of children, adolescence and old age since last 24 yrs. Her email is: firstname.lastname@example.org.