The Butterfly asana/ Baddha Konasana/ Titli Asana stretches the inner thigh zone, stimulates the groin along with Kidney and Liver functions. The asana also helps urinary bladder movements with expansion and contraction along with the lines of Gull Bladder.
1. A beautiful method to stretch your lower back without losing the hamstrings
2. As much as you can stretch your legs and feet the much will be the stretching of hamstrings and will offer more effects
3. The abductor muscle stretched more as much as you bring your legs to the groins
4. This is an impeccable asana for kidney disorders and prostate gland functions
5. It helps in regulating monthly evolution cycles and helps in reducing weight in the testicles
6. It helps making childbirth easier and make ovary functions clear
Signs you should take care of
1. This pose can worsen Sciatica conditions. People suffering from Sciatica, can do this by placing a cushion below the hips. While doing this asana person must be aware of backward rotation of hips.
2. If you have any sort of lower back disorder and you have been advised not to stretch your flexion and spine, you should keep your back as straight as possible so as to less impact your spine.
3. If you have ever encountered a whiplash or similar neck injuries, you must avoid dropping your head down or move it side-wise
How to start this asana?
1. Sit on a comfortable position and be seated straight.
2. Bring the soles of your feet together and slide away from the body
3. Arch your back and fold it forward gently holding the soles with your hands
4. Lightly rest your hands on the feet or on the floor by the side of the body
5. Lower your head in a down hanging position
Optional alternative arrangements
1. You may elevate your hips with an external support
2. You may rest your head with your hands or rest your head on a cushion if your leg is too much in stress
3. Rest your chest on a bolster if the stress is high
4. You can hold your feet, rest your hands on the floor or take them behind your body in a relaxed position
5. If stress on the back makes your uncomfortable on this position, try reclining and lie down keeping your legs in butterfly position
How to revert to normal/ Counter Poses
1. You can use your hands to push away from the floor and slowly roll up to normal
2. Allow your hands to go back of your body releasing the hip from the position and then slowly release one leg at a time till you become normal
3. As a counter pose, you can lay down on your stomach and make a gentle back-bend to life your spines a little up
4. Also you can do a spinal life while laying on your back
Which part and organs of the body are affected
1. This asana strongly affects the urinary bladder movements with expansion and contraction along with the lines of Gull Bladder, which runs in line with spinal region in the lower back of your body.
2. The stretch in the inner thigh zone, stimulates the groin along with Kidney and Liver functions
Joints affected directly by this asana
This asana revolves around your hip and lower spinal joints affecting their functions significantly
Recommended stretch of time
1. This asana offers you flexibility to perform this even while watching television reading a book.
2. Keep the ideal time at 2 minutes and gradually extend it as long as you are comfortable with it
Some other Notes
1. There is no restriction of time for this asana
2. Butterfly asana can be done at any time, even after a meal (you should not touch your head to floor or exercise too much pressure on your abdomen while doing this after meals)
3. It may prevent a person to folding lower while the feet is near groin
4. Try making a diamond so as to lean your head over the feet
5. This is also advised for pregnant women as this stretches away legs offering enough space for resting the belly