Carrot Kanji – The Miracle Drink
Kanji, the ‘probiotic’ fermented drink is a winter health drink traditionally consumed in the Punjabi speaking belt of north India.
Also known as Indian Kombucha, Carrot Kanji offers immense health benefits, some of which are mentioned as you go through the article.
Carrot contains a very good amount of beta carotene. It also contains other vitamins such as vitamins B, C, E, and K. It does not contain fats, cholesterol and is low in sodium. It is high in minerals such as calcium, potassium, biotin, iron, magnesium, fibre, antioxidants and phytochemicals.
Possible health benefits of Kanji drink…
1/6. Aids digestion
1. The fermented gajar kanji and the mustard seeds help in promoting digestion during the winter season.
2. The fibre content of the carrot helps in regulating digestion.
3. The fiber further keeps you full for longer. It also helps reduce cholesterol levels and stabilises blood sugar levels.
4. It is useful in heartburn, gas, nausea, bloating, constipation, diarrhoea, etc.
5. Kanji tones the blood and detoxifies the liver.
2/6. Improves eye health
1. The gajar is rich with Anthocyanin, which helps improve eye health.
2. Anthocyanins content of carrot also helps in improving the vision, enhancing circulation.
3. It further helps in fighting macular degeneration and cataracts.
4. The lutein content of the carrot possesses eye health protecting properties.
3/6. Boosts immunity
1. Carrot kanji helps in boosting immunity. The medicinal properties of this drink shall attack both viral and bacterial infections. It shall offer protection against cold and flu.
2. The vitamin C content of kanji stimulates the function of the white blood cells which offers defense against harmful diseases and other foreign objects.
3. Black carrot kanji being rich in vitamin K, vitamin C, fibre, potassium, and manganese offers protection against diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
4/6. Keeps the skin healthy
1. Black carrot kanji, being a rich source of antioxidant anthocyanins, this drink restricts the degeneration of the cells.
2. Anthocyanin helps in keeping the skin glowing and youthful. It further slows down the signs of aging.
3. The vitamin C content of black carrot helps in collagen production which is useful in maintaining skin elasticity.
5/6. Promotes heart health
1. Black carrot kanji is a good blood cleanser.
2. The antioxidant content of black carrot kanji helps in reducing the bad cholesterol and keeps the cardiovascular system in good health.
6/6. Other possible health benefits…
Kanji has certain other benefits as well. It prevents infections after surgery, is good for gut health, gives relief from irritable bowel syndrome and protects children against eczema. Care shall be taken to drink too much at a time because it is a mild laxative.
Carrot Kanji – The Fermented North Indian Probiotic Drink. Kanji is also known as Indian Kombucha.
How to make black carrot kanji?
Take 500gms of black carrots. Peel them and wash them. Cut them into thin slices.
Put them into water along with 60 gm powdered mustard seed, 80gm rock salt, and 50gm of chilli powder.
Store the mixture in a glass jar and expose it to sunlight to ferment it naturally. It may take 2-3 days to ferment in warm weather while it shall take 4-5 days to ferment in cold weather.
Stir it twice a day.
The mixture is ready for consumption, once it becomes sour and a little pungent.