Shashank Asana/Child Pose, one of the most basic asana, can provide benefits like…
1. This is a healing pose and is a perfect counter pose for many back bend asana
2. Shashank Asana compresses the spleen and stomach and stretches the Urinary Bladder and activates the Kidneys
3. With slight stretch of spines it is very good for relaxing
4. The mild compression of stomach helps in digestion
5. This asana has a Psychological effect when feeling cold or anxious
6. It stimulates the blood flow and flow of lymph fluids on chest and breast tissues
Signs you should take care of:
- If you have diarrhea or if you are pregnant this pose should be avoided
- This posture should not be tried just after having meal
- If you have knee or an ankle problems, try using a support cushion to your knees to release the pain
How to start this asana?
- Sit in a comfortable position on your heels
- Do a slow and steady forward bend keeping your hands beside your body and leaning foreword
- Bring your chest on your thighs and bend your head further down to touch the ground with the forehead
Optional alternative arrangements:
- This can be done with hands stretching forward, which can ease stretch on the neck and shoulders
- For some practitioner, if they can’t sit on their heels on the buttock, the head will have too much pressure. They should try supporting their head with their hand or with a bolster
- Bring your knees as much closure as you like, but should avoid touching them
- If you feel any high stretch or pain in the knees, or lower stomach region this should be avoided
- You can do this as a preparation for Frog, by sitting on your heels and spreading knees a little apart
How to revert to normal/ Counter Poses:
- When you are complete, use your hands to push against the floor and roll up slowly
- As this a relaxing asana, no counter-pose is usually required for this asana
Which part and organs of the body are affected?
- This compresses the spleen and stomach and stretches the Urinary Bladder and Kidneys
Joints affected directly by this asana:
- This asana directly stretches your spine and ankles.
Recommended stretch of time:
- If this asana is being done as a counter-pose, ideal time should be 1 minute
- If you cannot bring your head to the floor, a maximum time of 5 minutes should be allowed.