Cinnamon is a spice that is made from the inner bark of Cinnamomum trees. While drying, the inner bark curls into rolls forming the cinnamon stick. Cinnamon is an aromatic agent which is used as a condiment in many cuisines.
There are almost more than hundred types of cinnamon but only four types are suitable for commercial sale. Cinnamon tea is a nutritious drink offering numerous health benefits.
One teaspoon of ground cinnamon contains 6 calories. It contains 26mg of calcium, 11 mg of potassium, 2 gm carbohydrate, 1.5 mg of magnesium, 2 mg of phosphorus, etc.
It also contains traces of antioxidants such as beta-carotene, lutein, beta-cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin, lycopene, and vitamins B & K. Cinnamon does not contain proteins, sugars, fat, sodium, and cholesterol.
Possible health benefits of Cinnamon water…
1/7. Reduces blood sugar
1. The compounds found in cinnamon reduce blood sugar levels by reducing insulin resistance.
2. Cinnamon slows down the carbohydrate breakdown in the gut thus, restricting spiking up of blood sugar levels after meals.
2/7. Promotes weight loss
1. Consuming 2 cups a day of cinnamon tea can help in losing body fat and reduction in waist circumference.
2. Cinnamon makes easy satiety and prevents hunger attacks thus prevent weight loss.
3/7. Prevents cancer
1. The high amount of anti-carcinogen content of cinnamon kills certain types of cancer cells thus, preventing certain cancers such as skin cancer. Cinnamon extracts are beneficial against leukaemia and lymphomas.
2. Cinnamon extracts slow down or inhibits the growth of affected cells.
4/7. Reduces the risk of heart diseases
1. Cinnamate compound present in cinnamon decreases the activity of the enzyme that makes cholesterol thus, reducing cholesterol. It decreases triglycerides, total cholesterol, and bad cholesterol.
2. Coumarins present in cinnamon prevent the narrowing of blood vessels and protects against blood clots.
3. Cinnamon reduces the risk of heart diseases.
5/7. Boosts immunity
1. The high content of antioxidant polyphenols and proanthocyanidins present in cinnamon offers a boost to the immune system.
2. The antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties of cinnamon decrease the risk of developing health hazards.
6/7. Fights bacterial and fungal infections
1. Cinnamon possesses antifungal and antibacterial properties. Cinnamaldehyde is one of the contents of cinnamon which helps fight against several kinds of infection.
2. Cinnamaldehyde restricts the growth of several fungi, bacteria, and molds
3. The antimicrobial property of cinnamon decreases bad breath and prevents tooth decay.
7/7. Other possible benefits…
Cinnamon water is further beneficial in decreasing inflammation, reduces acne, decreases menstrual cramps, improves brain functioning, enhances hearing capabilities, possesses anti-aging properties, promotes smooth digestion, relieves arthritic pain, boosts blood circulation, enhances the mood, cures impotence, reduces bladder infections, etc.
Laden with antifungal and antibacterial properties, cinnamon can be an easy natural and organic replacement for the dangerous and health damaging white sugar.
How to prepare Cinnamon Water?
Take 1 litre of water and soak 2-3 medium cinnamon sticks into it.
Boil the water to half a litre and then let it cool.
Drink cinnamon water on an empty stomach before breakfast or before bed.