Nariyal paani – also known as coconut water is a nutritious, refreshing, delicious and super hydrating natural drink found inside the green unripe coconut. Coconut water found inside the coconut is ‘endosperm’ or the food for the coconut’s growth.
Coconut water, grown in abundance in the tropical countries, has comparable osmolarity to WHO recommended ORS (Oral Rehydration Fluid).
Nariyal paani contains carbohydrates, fibre, proteins, vitamin C, manganese, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sodium. One cup of coconut water contains 17% each of potassium & manganese, 15 % of magnesium, 11% of sodium and 6% of calcium. It contains zero cholesterol and fat.
Possible Health Benefits of Nariyal Paani…
1/11. Rich Source of Hydration
1. Coconut water is considered to be more hydrating than water.
2. The presence of electrolytes in the coconut water makes it a good source of hydration.
3. If taken in the right amounts, coconut water can heal several stomach complaints.
2/11. Facilitates Digestion
The rich fibre content of nariyal paani helps in enhancing the digestion and facilitates proper digestion.
3/11. Prevent Kidney Stones
1. Consumption of Nariyal paani is important for the prevention of kidney stones.
2. Coconut water prevents kidney stones by decreasing stone and crystal formation.
4/11. Reduces Blood Pressure
1. The potassium and sodium content of coconut water helps in lowering the blood pressure.
2. The anti-thrombotic activity of coconut water prevents the formation of blood clots.
3. It also helps in lowering cholesterol.
5/11. Promotes Cardiovascular Health
1. The presence of electrolytes in nariyal pani makes it an effective heart booster.
2. It accelerates the good lipid and inhibits the VLDL.
3. It reduces the risk of strokes, heart attacks; maintains adequate blood circulation; decreases high blood pressure and is vital for the adequate functioning of the heart.
6/11. Good For Diabetes
1. Nariyal paani produces an anti-diabetic effect.
2. The magnesium content of Nariyal paani accelerates insulin sensitivity and decreases blood sugar levels.
7/11. Helps in Weight Loss
1. Nariyal paani increases the metabolism of the body.
2. It restricts fat storage thus reducing the risk of building up of fats.
8/11. Cures Hangovers
1. Nariyal paani provides the body with the fluids which alcohol drains away. Thus, it helps in revitalising the body.
2. It further helps lower the urge to vomit, reduces urine frequency and settles the stomach.
9/11. Beneficial for Hair
1. The anti-fungal properties of nariyal paani eradicate scalp itchiness and keep the scalp smooth and hydrated thus, controlling dandruff.
2. Massaging the hair with coconut water enhances blood circulation and hair nourishment. Coconut water penetrates the molecules of the hair strand making it moist, shiny and promoting hair growth.
10/11. Benefits the Skin
1. The anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-parasitic properties of Nariyal paani makes it quite effective in treating skin infections and rectifying acne.
2. The lauric acid content of nariyal paani aids in promoting cell growth and in repairing the skin; thereby, decreasing the signs of ageing.
3. Coconut water keeps the skin moisturised as it levels the pH of the skin that regulates adequate skin hydration.
4. Nariyal paani eradicates suntan, discolouration of the skin and all types of blemishes.
11/11. Other possible health benefits…
Coconut water is often considered to be a good alternative to sports drinks due its inherent ability to restore electrolytic balance. Since it is compatible with human blood, it has been administered intravenous to save lives in emergency situations. Due to presence of calcium, it is also considered good for bones and teeth. Presence of magnesium helps in treating headaches and migraines by releasing pain-reducing hormones and reducing vasco-constriction, thereby improving blood flow.
Low in calories, naturally free of fat and cholesterol, coconut water is rich in numerous vital electrolytes, amino acids, nutrients, phytohormones, cytokine, etc.