Though there are several systems of therapeutics adapted by sick people for their ailments- homeopathic and allopathic methods are two of the most commonly used methods.
What is Allopathic Medicine?
Allopathic system of medicine is commonly termed as conventional medicine or as Drug therapy. This is modern mode of treatment which suppresses the disease symptoms in the least possible time span using chemical-based or pharmaceutical drugs.
What is Homeopathic Medicine?
Homoeopathy is a natural, safe, gentle and harmless method of therapeutics, based on fixed scientific and logical principles. This is one of the traditional forms of alternative systems of medicine.
Homoeopathy is identified as the second largest system of therapeutics used in the world, as per the World Health Organisation.
Both these systems of medicines differ in several aspects…
1. Homoeopathic system is based on the principle of Law of Similars – ‘like cures like’. It believes that if a substance can produce a symptom in a healthy person then it has the ability to cure the same symptom in a diseased person. It embraces the dynamic concept of disease. It believes that the body is governed by a dynamic force.
2. Allopathic system is not based on any fixed principles. It considers that the disease is because of some material cause. They consider bacteria, parasites, viruses, etc to be the chief cause of the disease. Therefore their treatment emphasizes on the removal of these microorganisms.
1. Homoeopathy system provides complete restoration of health. The symptoms are permanently eliminated. It treats the root cause of the disease rather than suppressing it.
2. Allopathy system fails to provide any permanent relief. It provides only partial cure. The illness is controlled through the continuous administration of the medical substances, illness can return if the medications are withdrawn. It generally palliates the symptoms without addressing the cause of the disease.
1. Homoeopathic medicine preparation is processed through a unique method known as potentisation. In this process, the inert qualities of a drug are aroused. Minute amount of the original drug substance are acquired to prepare the medicine. Medicines are procured from several natural sources.
2. Allopathic medicines are not obtained from natural sources but are made from chemicals. Every chemical has its own unique features, which can prove to be injurious if not taken as per the prescription.
1. In Homoeopathy medicine, the entire individual is considered as one single unit for cure. No individual parts or organs are considered to be sick. Every individual is considered as a different entity. Hence, detailed case taking is required to treat the person as a whole.
In Homoeopathy, it is believed that most of the diseases originate from the mind hence; mind symptoms are given much importance while taking the case. There is a definite relationship of symptom similarity between the disease and the medicine.
2. Allopathy medicine treats only the diseased organ or system. Hence, details only regarding the affected organ/ system are required. Material cause is considered to be the originator of every disease. There is no definite relation between the disease and the medicines.
1. Homoeopathy medicine is not based purely on the diagnosis but it is based on the collection of characteristic symptoms that expressed by the patient. Hence, the medicine differs in every individual though suffering from the same condition. The dose, strength and the repetition of medicine too, differs from individual to individual. There are neither substitutes nor specific medicines in Homoeopathy. Only one single medicine is prescribed at a time. There is no mixing of medicines.
2. Allopathy medicine has a specific medicine for every particular condition. The medicine remains the same for every individual suffering from the same condition. Common symptoms of the disease are required for the diagnosis. Several medicines are prescribed at a time.
6/7. Safety Profile
1. In Homoeopathy science every drug that is administered for cure in homoeopathy is already proved on healthy individuals and their actions are well-known. The drugs are free from toxicity and chemicals and are administered in minute doses hence; these drugs are safe for use in children and even during pregnancy & breastfeeding.
2. Allopathic drugs are mostly proved on animals hence, their actual effects on human body cannot be ascertained. These medicines contain chemicals and are administered in large and continuous doses. Hence, every drug cannot be safely indicated during pregnancy and breastfeeding. These medicines act on the other organs/ systems producing side effects of the medications.
1. In Homoeopathy Drug proving, Potentisation and permanent relief are the hallmarks.
2. In Allopathy Quick relief is the hallmark.
Just like any other systems of medicine, these systems too, have their own scope and limitations. Any one system of therapeutics cannot successfully treat all the conditions. Both systems play an important role in their areas of expertise and have their own importance in saving lives.
Writers Note: This article may sound a tad biased, to a few. Well! to be fair, I have had to try both the methods for my health issues and I found my answers in homeopathy medicine. Please due your due diligence before you embark on your ‘healing’ quest. All the Best!