Fenugreek water drink Benefits
Fenugreek seed is also known as ‘methi dana’ are thin, amber-coloured seeds, used in various alternative medicine systems. Loaded with numerous health benefits, methi dana is also used for cooking and as a flour enhancer. Fenugreek is a herb with numerous health benefits.
One tablespoon of ground fenugreek contains 35 calories, 1 gram of fat, 2.5 grams of protein, 3 grams of fibre, and 6 grams of carbohydrates. It is a good source of iron. It also contains magnesium and manganese.
Possible health benefits of fenugreek seeds…
1/12. Aids in weight loss
Fenugreek helps in weight loss by suppressing the appetite. It is excellent for boosting metabolism.
2/12. Promotes milk production
Methi helps in increasing the production of breastmilk. Fenugreek seeds influence the levels of dopamine and hormones, which enhances breast milk supply. It also promotes the flow of breast milk.
3/12. Helps in diabetes
The amino acid content of fenugreek seeds aids in insulin production in the pancreas. Insulin decreases blood sugar levels. It further improves glucose tolerance.
4/12. Promotes digestion
1. The fibre and antioxidant content aids in eliminating harmful toxins from the body.
2. Regular intake of fenugreek aids in the strengthening of the digestive system.
3. It is an excellent antacid. It decreases the intensity of heartburn. It improves digestion and prevents stomach disorders.
5/12. Lowers cholesterol levels
The steroidal saponins of fenugreek seeds intercept cholesterol absorption and triglycerides. It reduces total cholesterol and bad cholesterol.
6/12. Improves function Of kidney
1. The polyphenolic flavonoids content of methi dana stimulates kidney function and prevents the cell damage by forming a membrane around them.
2. Consumption of fenugreek seeds is excellent for the better functioning of the kidneys.
7/12. Promotes heart health
1. Galactomannan content of fenugreek seeds helps maintain heart health.
2. These seeds further contain high amounts of potassium which oppose the action of sodium and control heart rate and blood pressure.
8/12. Increases testosterone
1. The steroidal saponins, furostanol glycosides present in fenugreek is responsible for the increase in testosterone.
2. Fenugreek further increases serum testosterone levels and sperm count.
9/12. Fights colds and flu
The antiviral, antibacterial and antioxidant properties of fenugreek aids combat germs and prevent common cold and other infectious illnesses.
10/12. Reduces menstrual pain
1. There are certain compounds in fenugreek seeds that help in decreasing symptoms related to premenstrual syndrome such as menstrual cramps and discomfort.
2. It also calms the mood swings due to premenstrual syndrome.
11/12. Useful in treating Dandruff
The antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of fenugreek makes it useful in treating itchy scalp and dandruff.
12/12. Other possible health benefits…
Some other benefits of the fenugreek seeds and its water are that it is good for people who have domination in ‘kapha’ and are prone to cold and cough. It is also good for people have problem of bloating or water retention, eases bowel movement and prevents constipation. The water is good for hair as well. It promotes hair growth and improves hair volume. It is also believed to be good in controlling effects of alcoholism, thereby safeguarding the liver from its adverse impact.
Fenugreek seed – methi dana is a key ingredient in alternate medicine streams like Ayurveda and homeopathy.
How to Prepare Fenugreek Water?
Take 1 tbsp of fenugreek seeds. Roast these seeds and then let them cool down.
Put these seeds into the blender and made fine powder.
In a glass of warm water, add 1 tbsp of fenugreek powder and mix.
OR you can soak fenugreek seeds overnight and drink the strained water, empty stomach, first thing in the morning.