Mindful Forgiveness is an internalised Release and Let Go Self Healing process. Mindful Forgiveness is a movement of your heart not to carry aversive hatred or blame.
We all get hurt at some point of time. However, it does not imply that we live with the bitterness and hatred within us. Forgiving others helps us to enjoy the present moment in its entirety without getting stuck in the bad memories of the past. Moreover, forgiveness leads to less stress and anxiety, which in turn, makes us physically and mentally healthy.
Forgiveness should not be mistaken for having vindicated the incorrect act by a person. The act of forgiving is about pardoning the person without justifying the act.
The practice of Mindful Forgiveness. Everything in the world is temporary…
1. Determine a day when you will be relatively free of official and personal engagements.
2. Sit in a quiet room in your house or select a quiet part of a park or beach.
3. Take a couple of deep inhalations and exhalations, post which, return to your normal breath pattern.
4. Slowly bring attention to your breath. Be aware of the incoming and outgoing breath. Continue this awareness for at least 10 minutes.
5. Think of the person who hurt you. Make sure that you think of only one person at a time.
6. The person who hurt you could be anyone. It could be your colleagues, strangers on the road, friends or even your spouse or parents.
7. Visualise them. Think of how they hurt you. Feel compassion for them. If you have been hurt badly, you could find it tough to forgive.
8. But, still try forgiving them. Visualize yourself as having a big heart and pardoning them. Realise that everything in the world is temporary.
If you have hurt anyone, you could use this exercise to forgive yourself for the act
If you feel undue stress and emotional pain, try stopping the practice for a while and then resume it. However, if you feel that you are unable to control your emotions even after resuming the meditation session, stop the meditation session.
If you feel distracted during the session, take a couple of deep breaths and then resume the forgiveness meditation session.