Giloy / Gaduchi, also known as Tinospora cordifolia is known as Queen of all herbs. Giloy, in Sanskrit is known as ‘Amrita’ which means ‘the root of immortality’, due to its plentiful medicinal properties.
Nutritional value Of Giloy
Giloy / heart-leaved moonseed is rich in alkaloids. Other substances present in giloy are flavonoids, carbohydrates, lignans, steroids, etc.
It also contains approximately 11gm fibre, 2 gms proteins, 3 gms carbohydrates, 303 micrograms vitamin A, 56 milligrams vitamin C, 85 milligrams calcium and 6 milligrams iron.
100 grams of giloy leaves contains 88.64 calories energy.
Potential health benefits of Giloy…
1/10. Boosts immunity
1. The anti-oxidant effect of Giloy enhances health and fights against harmful diseases. It purifies the blood, eliminates free radicals and toxins.
2. Giloy activates the immune system thus, boosting immunity.
3. Giloy also fights against bacteria causing diseases in our body.
2/10. Acts as an aphrodisiac
1. Giloy contains properties that enhance libido. It enhances the sex life. It is beneficial in treating sexual health-related conditions such as impotence.
2. It also helps in controlling excessive or involuntary ejaculation or spermatorrhea.
3/10. Useful in treating diabetes
Giloy acts as a hypoglycaemic agent thus, reducing blood sugar levels. Thus, giloy juice is very effective in treating type 2 diabetes.
4/10. Effective in treating arthritis
1. The anti-arthritic and anti-inflammatory properties possessed by Giloy helps in dealing with arthritis and its symptoms.
2. It cures inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and gout.
5/10. Slows down ageing
1. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of Giloy aid in preventing premature aging.
2. It reduces wrinkles, dark spots, pimples, and fine lines and keeps the skin bright, beautiful, and young.
6/10. Improves eyesight
Lutein, the antioxidant content of Giloy is of great importance for the eyes. These antioxidants enhance the eyesight and keep the eyes healthy.
7/10. Useful in treating chronic fevers
1. Giloy being anti-pyretic in nature helps eradicate recurrent fevers.
2. It decreases the signs and symptoms of many fatal fever conditions.
3. Giloy accelerates the platelet count and reduces the symptoms of dengue fever.
8/10. Promotes good digestion
1. Giloy possesses the ability to eliminate toxins from the body, thereby enhancing metabolism. Thus, promoting digestion.
2. It helps in hyperacidity, abdominal pain, worm infestations, colitis, loss of appetite, excessive thirst, and vomiting.
9/10. Reduces stress and anxiety
1. Giloy, being an adaptogenic herb tackles stress and anxiety by normalizing the physiological functions. It produces a calming effect on the body.
2. Giloy has the ability to cross the blood brain barrier thus, it boosts memory and cognitive functions.
10/10. Other possible benefits…
Other then the above-mentioned health benefits, Giloy juice is also effective in treating asthma, reducing anxiety, enhances mental strength, preventing cancer, treating skin conditions, and boosts liver function.
Ayurveda calls it the root of immortality. Most early morning walkers can be seen chewing onto a small piece of this ‘immortality’ herb.
How to make Giloy Juice?
Wash giloy stem nicely, scrape the outer skin until the greener part is seen.
Chop it into small pieces and grind it.
Add 1 cup of water and blend it till the liquid turns green.
Filter (if you want to) the mixture and your Giloy juice is ready.