Most of us lead stressful lives. At times, the stress gets too much that it makes us disoriented. Grounding exercises are easy-to-do quick relaxation and awareness exercises.
This exercise should not take more than 5 to 7 minutes of your time. Hence, you can do it even in the midst of a hectic day, that too without affecting your official chores and without even getting up from your chair.
How to practice grounding ‘awareness’ exercise?
1. Sit comfortably on your chair. Make sure that your back is straight and your feet touch the ground. Ensure your arms are comfortably rested on your thighs or on the chair.
2. Close your eyes and take a couple of deep breaths. Post that, resume your natural breathing. Focus on your inhalation and exhalation for a while.
3. Shift your awareness to your feet. Notice if there is tension in your feet. Tell yourself to relax your feet. Then shift your attention to your arms and notice the tension in your arms, if any. Softly tell within yourself to relax the arms.
4. Be aware of the sounds around you. Don’t judge the sounds. Just be aware of it.
5. Shift your attention to the smell. Notice the smells arising all around you.
6. Feel your arms again. Focus on where your hands are. Feel the touch.
7. Open your eyes gently and see around. Be aware of the sights around.
8. Shift your awareness to the entire body.
9. Slowly resume what you were doing earlier.
10. If you ever feel distracted during the session, take a few deep breaths and resume from where you had stopped. Don’t judge yourself, in case, you were unable to focus and relax.