Menopause brings about several changes in the body of the woman . Hair loss is one such change…
On average, one loses approximately 50-100 hairs from the head daily and women during the menopausal stage experience accelerated hair loss.
Hair loss is one of the most distressing and emotional symptom experienced during menopause which may lead to numerous psychological effects such as poor self-esteem, low confidence, anxiety, depression and even reduced job performance.
Causes of Hair loss during Menopause
Hormones play a major role in hair growth. During menopause, there is a decline in the function of the ovaries, due to which there is a decrease in the production of female hormones – oestrogen and progesterone. Hence, alterations in the hormones lead to hair loss.
During menopause, the changes in the hormones occur as follows…
- There is decrease in female hormone levels – estrogen & progesterone.
- There is increase in levels of testosterone due to the decrease in estrogen levels. Increase in testosterone gives rise to shrinkage of hair follicles.
Other contributing factors for hair loss too, should to be considered…
- Genetic predisposition;
- Other hormonal imbalances;
- Nutritional deficiencies;
Changes in Hair during Menopause
Few women experience changes in their hair during menopause. The changes may differ from woman to woman. The changes in hair may be in the following ways:
- Hair may become thinner or patchy.
- Hair may be brittle.
- Growth of hair may be slower than otherwise.
- Volume and condition of the hair may appear to worsen.
Hair loss due to menopause is rarely permanent
Few women may experience evident hair loss during different stages of their menstrual cycle and sometimes seasonally. In such cases, hair loss is normal and it shall resolve itself naturally. Hair fall can be reduced by adapting the following methods:
- Intake of Hormone Replacement therapy.
- Intake of nutritious diet.
- Consume protein rich diet.
- Stay hydrated.
- Regularly massage the scalp so that blood circulation can be enhanced.
- Inculcate stress relieving techniques such as meditation, exercise, swimming, etc.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Use of gentle shampoo for hair wash.
One can be reassured that if the hair fall is menopause related then it shall certainly reduce with time.