Apple cider vinegar (ACV) or cider vinegar is made from fermented apple juice. ACV, besides being a preservative and taste enhancer, offers heath benefits, due to the presence of anti-microbial, anti-glycemic and antioxidant properties.
Cider vinegar is made by crushing apples and exposing it to yeast and /or bacteria which is added to the cider. The natural sugar from the apple is fermented and turned into alcohol. In the second fermentation step, the alcohol is converted into vinegar by acetic acid forming bacteria.
Just similar to the other types of vinegar, apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid. It also contains malic, lactic, and citric acids. The sour taste of apple cider vinegar is attributed to the mix of acetic acid and malic acid.
Apple cider vinegar is considered as a nutritional powerhouse. It contains abundant of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. It contains phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, iron, potassium, etc. It also contains folic and acetic acids.
100 gm of Apple cider vinegar contains 22 kcal, 0.93 gm of carbohydrates, 0.4 gm of sugars, 7 mg calcium, 0.2 mf of iron, 5 mg of magnesium, 8 mg phosphorus, 73 mg of potassium, 5 mg sodium, and 0.04 mg of zinc. It does not contain fiber, fat, and proteins.
Potential Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar…
Regulates blood sugar levels
1. The anti-glycemic property of apple cider vinegar benefits people having a relatively high fasting glucose. Consuming apple cider vinegar reduces the risk to diabetes.
2. The acetic acid present in vinegar blocks the enzymes that digest starch thus, leading to smaller blood sugar response post starchy meals.
3. Apple cider vinegar enhances insulin sensitivity which moves the glucose out of the bloodstream thus, decreasing blood sugar levels.
Promotes weight loss
The acetic acid content of apple cider vinegar reduces absorption of starches and slows the digestion thus, leading to a sensation of fullness. Thereby, reducing the intake of food leading to weight loss.
Soothes sore throat
1. The germ-fighting property of apple cider vinegar fights against all infections thereby, soothing a sore throat.
2. Apple cider vinegar creates an acidic environment which kills germs.
1. The acetic acid in cider vinegar kills and stops the growth of cancer cells.
2. The antioxidants present in apple cider vinegar helps in dismantling cancerous cells.
Other possible benefits…
Apple cider vinegar produces numerous health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces few more such as, improves heart health, boosts skin health, lowers blood pressure, reduces cholesterol levels, helps with digestion, kills bacteria.
Also helps reduce the symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome for general wellness, helps cure hiccups, gets rid of dandruff, helps clear acne, may banish bad breath, may whiten teeth, and treats acne and other chronic skin disorders.
How to use apple cider vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar can be used in different ways, some of them are as follows:
- In soup.
- In chutney.
- In a sauce.
- In a smoothie.
- In a hot drink.
- As a marinade.
- To boil better eggs.
- As a Digestive Tonic.
- Jazz Up Tomato Juice.
- As a food preservative.
- Make a salad vinaigrette.
- To wash fruits and vegetables.
- In homemade cakes and candies.
- As a Dairy Free Buttermilk Substitute.
How to make apple cider vinegar mocktail ?
Take 2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a big cup (300 grams) of water, 2 teaspoons organic honey (or cinnamon), 1 to 3 leaves of basil or mint, 4 strawberries or blackberries.
Mix all of them together and your apple cider vinegar mocktail is ready to drink.