Health Benefits of Arrowroot
Arrowroot is a starch powder, which is extracted from the roots of the plant Maranta arundinaceae. This powder is also known as arrowroot flour. In Hindi, it is known as ‘Ararot’.
This plant is a perennial herb with flat, broad, ovate-shaped leaves. It grows to a height of 3 to 5 feet. The root of this plant is cylindrical-shaped with cream-white/light red tuber.
Ararot powder is extracted from the plant’s underground stem with multiple roots that store its starch and energy. It is used in sweet and savoury dishes. It is easily digestible, gluten-free starch and is used in diets requiring flavourless, low-salt and low-protein foods.
It is rich in carbohydrates, contains high amounts of phosphorus and potassium and also has traces of zinc and iron. It contains negligible quantity of fats.
One cup of arrowroot slices that is, weighing approximately 120 gm, contains 78 calories, 16.07 gm of carbohydrates, 1.6 gm of fibre, 0.24 gm of fat, 7 gm of calcium, 5 gm of proteins, 118 mg of phosphorus, 545 mg of potassium, 31 mg of sodium, 30 mg of magnesium, 2.66 mg of iron, 0.071 mg of riboflavin, and 0.172 mg of thiamine.
Potential Health Benefits of Arrowroot…
1/5. Improved heart health
1. The high content of potassium acts as a defence against heart-related disorders.
2. Potassium is a vasodilator, it expands the blood vessels and arteries thus, reducing blood pressure and preventing cardiovascular diseases such as strokes, heart attacks, and atherosclerosis.
3. Ararot promotes the production of bile in the liver thus, reducing blood cholesterol levels.
4. The bioactive compounds such as cardiac glycosides, alkaloids, phenolic compounds, saponins, and flavones present in it also help in regulating healthy cholesterol levels.
2/5. Treats urinary tract infection
The antiseptic and the anti-inflammatory effects of arrowroot aids in treating urinary tract infections, curing bladder infections, and preventing future flare-ups.
3/5. Improves kidney health
1. The high content of potassium in ararot is responsible for improving the kidney health.
2. Potassium eliminates the toxins and stressors from the kidneys thus, improving urinary system functioning.
4/5. Promotes healthy sleep
1. The high magnesium content helps in improving the sleep cycle. Magnesium enhances the quality and duration of sleep.
2. Magnesium content present in it also aids in decreasing the occurrence of sleep diseases like apnea and insomnia.
5/5. Other possible benefits…
Ararot has numerous health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces few more such as aids weight loss, boost the immune system, promotes growth and development, treats skin complaints, promotes digestion, boosts metabolic rate, promotes good circulation.
Also treats athlete’s foot, relieves diarrhoea and abdominal pain, heals the skin, aid diabetes treatment, prevents birth anomalies, relieves toothaches, fights food borne pathogens, beneficial in pregnancy, and treats hair complaints.
Arrowroot is easily digestible, gluten-free starch and is used in diets requiring flavourless, low-salt and low-protein foods.
How to use Arrowroot?
It is generally used in the form of powder. The powder can be used in several ways. Some of them are as follows:
- In desserts.
- As a binder in omelets.
- Added to cookie or cake batter.
- Add in soups, sauces, stews, or curries.
- Add to shakes, smoothies, pudding, jellies, or juices.
Side-effects of Arrowroot
There are no known side effects of using arrowroot. However, when it is being used for resolving the diarrhea, it shall not be taken with any other medicine being taken for diarrhea as it might lead to constipation.
Another precaution related to its usage pertains to use by pregnant or nursing mothers or any person with kidney or liver disease. These people are advised to have doctoral consultation prior to taking arrowroot as a herbal remedy.
When giving to an infant, consult pediatrician first and it is important to watch for allergic reactions.
How to make Arrowroot Thandai?
Mix 1 tsp Arrowroot powder in 1 cup water and mix it well.
Boil it on a low flame and stir continuously to avoid lumps.
Add 2-3 tsp of jaggery powder. Let it dissolve.
Add 1 cup milk, when it starts thickening.
Bring it to boil and then add ½ tsp cardamom powder. Turn off the flame, once It boils.
Let it cool and then store it in the refrigerator. Serve it chilled.