Health Benefits of Giloy/Guduchi/Amrith
Giloy or Guduchi or Amrith is a rejuvenating herb offering immense health benefits. Botanically, Giloy, known as Tinospora cordifolia, is considered as Queen of all herbs.
Giloy, in Sanskrit is identified as ‘Amrita’ which denotes ‘the root of immortality’. It is termed such due to its plentiful medicinal properties. The leaves, stem, bark, and roots of Giloy are used for medicinal purposes. Guduchi is considered as a powerful immunomodulator.
Nutritional Value of Giloy
Giloy is rich in alkaloids. Other substances present in giloy are flavonoids, carbohydrates, lignans, steroids, etc. 100 grams of giloy leaves contain 88.64 calories. It also contains approximately 11 gm of fibre, 2 gm of proteins, 3 gm of carbohydrates, 303 micrograms of vitamin A, 56 milligrams of vitamin C, 85 milligrams of calcium, and 6 milligrams of iron.
Possible Health Benefits of Giloy…
1/6. Useful in skin conditions
1. Guduchi, being a natural blood purifier effectively eliminates AMA toxins from the body, thereby purifying the blood and restricting any bacterial infections.
2. The anti-pruritic properties of Giloy decrease itching due to microbial infections.
3. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of Giloy aid in preventing premature aging.
4. The anti-aging property of Giloy reduces wrinkles, dark spots, pimples, and fine lines and keeps the skin bright, beautiful, and young.
5. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of Guduchi helps fight against skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
2/6. Improves digestion
1. Giloy possesses the ability to eliminate toxins from the body, thereby enhancing metabolism. Thus, promoting digestion.
2. The anti-inflammatory properties of giloy decrease gastritis, constipation, bloating, gastrointestinal inflammation, acidity, loss of appetite and helps digestion.
3. Giloy also prevents peptic and duodenal ulcers.
4. It also helps in hyperacidity, abdominal pain, worm infestations, colitis, excessive thirst, and vomiting.
5. Guduchi helps enhance digestion and in treating several bowel-related complaints.
3/6. Boosts immunity
1. The anti-oxidant effect of Giloy enhances health and fights against harmful diseases. It purifies the blood, eliminates free radicals and toxins.
2. The immunostimulant properties of Giloy activate the immune system thus, boosting immunity. It is used to ward off infections.
3. Guduchi fights against bacteria causing diseases in our body.
4/6. Reduces stress and anxiety
1. Giloy can cross the blood-brain barrier thus, boosting the memory and enhancing cognitive functions.
2. Guduchi eliminates the toxins, boosts memory, and reduces mental stress and anxiety.
3. Giloy, being an adaptogenic herb tackles stress and anxiety by normalizing the physiological functions.
4. It produces a calming effect on the body.
5/6. Valuable in treating fevers
1. Giloy being antipyretic helps manage a range of fevers. It can eradicate recurrent fevers.
2. It decreases the signs and symptoms of many fatal fever conditions such as malaria, dengue, and swine flu.
3. Giloy accelerates the platelet count and reduces the symptoms of dengue fever.
4. The anti-microbial and immunomodulatory effects of Giloy prevent chronic bacterial and viral infections.
6/6. Other possible health benefits…
Giloy or Guduchi also treats diabetes, enhances mental strength, acts as an aphrodisiac, reduces the uric acid levels in the body, prevents cancer, treats arthritis, boosts liver function, treats asthma, improves eyesight, fights jaundice and hepatitis, boosts sexual health and reduces asthmatic symptoms.
Queen of all herbs, Giloy, in Sanskrit, is identified as ‘Amrita”… which denotes ‘the root of immortality’.
How to use Giloy?
Giloy can be consumed in the form of:-
How to make Giloy Juice?
Take giloy stem and wash it properly.
Scrape the outer skin until the greener part is seen.
Chop it into small pieces and grind it.
Add 1 cup of water and blend it till the liquid turns green.
Filter the mixture and the Giloy juice is ready.