Kosher salt, also referred to as flake salt, cooking salt, rock salt and kashering salt is coarse-grained flake shaped edible salt crystals. This salt is much larger and more porous as compared to the table salt and Kosher salt also tastes better than table salt. It offers a crunchy texture to the dishes.
This salt contains sodium chloride, but does not contain the mineral iodine hence, it is not considered as iodised salt. Kosher salt is used as a finishing salt for baked, cooked dishes and as a meat curator. Free of any additives, it is considered to be better than the processed salt for pickling purposes.
1.5 gm of Kosher salt contains zero calories, zero fats, carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, and cholesterol. It is rich in essential minerals.It contains 581 mg of sodium and 0.1 mg of potassium. Kosher salt is known to contain 60 trace minerals namely, calcium, magnesium, and selenium.
Potential Health Benefits of Kosher Salt…
1. The sodium chloride content present in Kosher salt helps balance the hydrochloric acid levels in the stomach thus, prevents the origin of numerous digestive disorders as low hydrochloric acid leads to several digestive disorders. The presence of hydrochloric acid prevents various digestive conditions such as indigestion, heartburn, gas, and bloating.
2. Hydrochloric acid helps digests proteins and further helps in the breakdown of food thus, promoting digestion.
3. Sodium chloride content ensures smooth digestion of food. The chloride content of Kosher salt helps in the absorption and digestion of several nutrients.
Benefits of oral health
1. The antibiotic properties of Kosher Salt help kill the infectious organisms in the oral cavity thus, promoting oral health.
2. Kosher salt decreases swelling, helps heal gum infections, sore throats, and sinus infections.
3. The potassium content of Kosher salt helps avert bleeding from gums.
4. Salt-based mouth gargles and rinses prevent gingivitis and caries.
Prevents high blood pressure
1. The low sodium content of Kosher salt is beneficial in preventing or reducing high blood pressure thus, preventing several health complaints.
2. Preventing and reducing high blood pressure averts potential damage to the heart thus, decreasing the risk of a heart attack.
3. The low sodium content of Kosher salt also helps protect the heart.
Salt with low iodine, almost half as compared to other salts, kosher salt can be an alternative salt for people who have high blood pressure.
Other possible Benefits…
Kosher salt produces numerous health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces few more such as, supports thyroid function, fights allergy, helps stabilise blood sugar levels and regulates body temperature.
How To use Kosher Salt In Cooking?
Kosher salt is used in several ways which are as follows:
- In Brining.
- In Margaritas.
- To season pasta.
- To flavour dishes.
- To season dishes.
- To cure and salt meat before use.
How To prepare roasted Garlic Salt?
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place few garlic cloves on tin foil, drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Wrap the garlic and put it int the oven.
Cook for approximately 30-40 minutes till the garlic cloves are soft.
On the cooling of the garlic, squeeze out the roasted garlic as well as stir in the 1 cup of kosher salt. Mix the salt and garlic in a large dish.
Preheat the oven to 200ºF. Place the garlic salt within the oven for approximately 20-30 minutes.
Once it cools, utilise a fork to break up the salt.
Preserve it in small jars.