Health Benefits of Neem
Neem tree, a native to India, is known as ‘Neemba’ in Sanskrit and its botanical name is Azadirachta Indica. Due to the amazing health benefits it offers, Indian ‘Neem’ lilac is also known as “the wonder tree” and is part of Ayurveda, Unani, Homeopathic and other traditional remedies.
There are two types of neem; Azadirachta Excelsa and Azadirachta indica. Neem has more than 130 different biologically active compounds. The bark, roots, seeds, fruits, and leaves of the tree possess medicinal properties.
Once known as ‘the village pharmacy’, neem is fast reclaiming its lost glory. Neem, in fact, is a good example of how nature holds both the problem and the possible cure.
One cup neem leaf is approximately 35 gm, it contains 45 calories, 8 gm of carbohydrates, 6.77 gm of fiber, 2.48 gm of protein, 178.5 mg of calcium, 44.45 mg of magnesium, 88.9 mg of potassium, 28 mg of phosphorus, 25.27 mg of sodium, and 5.98 mg of iron. It contains low fats.
Possible Health Benefits of Neem…
1/4. Benefits the skin
1. The antibacterial and astringent properties of neem prevent skin conditions. Neem extracts increased levels of a collagen-producing enzyme known as procollagen and a protein known as elastin thus, delays ageing and formation of wrinkles.
2. The antioxidants present in Neem reduces scarring and makes the skin look clean and fresh.
3. The active compounds of neem help treat numerous bacterial and fungal skin infections.
4. Neem can prevent acne-causing bacteria thus, prevents acne.
5. Extracts of neem are beneficial in treating a variety of skin conditions, such as warts, eczema, acne, ringworm, and psoriasis.
6. Neem oil is effective in treating chronic non-healing wounds, in soothing and lubricating the skin, making the skin glow, removes under-eye dark circles, etc.
2/4. Treats lice
The azadirachtin content of neem oil is effective in killing the head lice larvae and adult head lice. Azadirachtin interferes with their hormones thus, making it difficult for the insects to grow and lay eggs.
3/4. Helps prevent cancer
1. The extracts of leaves, seeds, flowers, and fruits of neem, all possess anticancer properties against different types of cancer.
2. Neem is useful in the treatment of ovarian, cervical, breast, oral, stomach, blood, liver, and prostate cancers.
3. Neem boosts the antioxidant levels thus, protecting against the chemically induced carcinogens.
4. The extracts of neem leaf destroy the cancer cells of the breast and prostate.
5. Their phytochemicals present in the neem leaves restrict cancer cell proliferation and induce cell death in cancer cells.
6. The polysaccharides and limonoids content present in neem bark, leaves, and seed oil decreases tumours and cancers.
7. The anti-cancer properties possessed by neem, makes it decrease the risk of cancer. The anti-cancer properties of neem are linked to flavonoids, tannins, terpenoids, coumarins, polysaccharides, and proteins.
4/4. Other possible benefits…
Apart from the above-mentioned health benefits, neem produces few more health benefits such as promotes wound healing, fights plaque build-up and prevents gingivitis, treats gastric ulcers, promotes hair growth and texture, cures arthritis, boosts immunity, purifies blood.
Neem helps maintain healthy respiratory system, manage diabetes and hypoglycaemia, protect the liver, promote dental health, help treat malaria, parasitic diseases and relieves muscles and joints pain.
Once known as ‘the village pharmacy’, neem is fast reclaiming its lost glory. Neem is a good example of how nature holds both the problem and the possible cure.
How to use Neem?
Neem is available in various forms and can be used in several different ways. Some of them are as follows:
- As oil,
- As a soap,
- As paste,
- As Creams,
- As capsules,
- Tablet form,
- As cosmetics.
- As toothpaste,
- Powder form,
- Liquid extract,
- As shampoos,
- As dental ointments.
How to make Neem Juice?
Take a cup of fresh neem leaves. Wash them thoroughly.
Put the neem leaves and one cup of water in a blender, to make a smooth mixture.
Strain the juice with the help of a muslin cloth.
Additionally, a dash of honey and lemon juice can be added, to make the neem juice palatable.
Serve the neem juice immediately.