Health Benefits of Cabbage ‘Patta Gobhi’
Wild Cabbage ‘Patta Gobhi’, as known in India, is said to be native of coastal southern and western Europe. Patta Gobhi became part of Indian kitchen around the 17th century and became an integral part of Indian palette due to distinct usage and some potentially health benefits like it is said to improve digestion, helps with weight loss, lowers cholesterol, boosts immunity, helps fish cancer and reduces inflammation.
In India, cabbage is popularly known as ‘Patta gobi’. Cabbage is available in various varieties such as purple cabbage, red cabbage, green cabbage and white cabbage. Green cabbage is the most commonly available variety. Cabbage is used as a vegetable and is also used in sandwiches, salads, and garnish.
Nutritional facts of Cabbage
As per the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, 100 gm of raw cabbage contains 25 kcals, 0.1 gm of fats, 1.28 gm of proteins, 2.5 gm of fiber, 5.8 gm of carbohydrates, 40 mg of calcium, 0.47 mg of iron, 12 mg of magnesium, 170 mg of potassium, 26 mg of phosphorus, 18 mg of sodium, 36.6 mg of vitamin C, and 43 mcg of folates.
Potential Health Benefits of Cabbage ‘Patta Gobhi’
1/5. Improves Digestion
Cabbage contains insoluble fiber, which helps maintain the health of the digestive system by promoting regular bowel movements. The fibre content of cabbage prevents constipation.
2/5. Boosts Immunity
1. The vitamin C content of cabbage helps in boosting the immune system of the body. Vitamin C also fights with the free radicals of the body thus, preventing the damage of our body.
2. The phytonutrients and antioxidants present in cabbage protect our body from the toxins, thus boosting immunity.
3/5. Lowers Blood Pressure
1. Cabbage is a rich source of potassium which helps in controlling increased blood pressure. Potassium counteracts the effects of sodium in the body thus, regulating blood pressure.
2. Potassium also relaxes the blood vessel walls thus, lowering blood pressure.
4/5. Improves Eye Health
1. Cabbage, particularly red cabbage, is a rich source of beta-carotene, an antioxidant. This antioxidant, in the body, is converted into vitamin A. Vitamin A helps enhance vision and promotes eye health.
2. The deficiency of Vitamin A can lead to night blindness and opacity of the cornea.
5/5. Other possible Benefits of Patta Gobi
Patta gobi produces several health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces a few more such as promotes weight loss, keeps the heart healthy, lowers cholesterol levels, prevents cancer,speeds up healing,makes the brain sharper, prevents neurological birth defects in their newborn, relieves migraine headache, detoxifies the body, soothes breasts engorgement, promotes skin health, treats peptic ulcers, and good for pregnant women.
Cabbage ‘Patta Gobhi’ is high in fructans, a type of carb that people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) often have a difficulty digesting. Also consuming large quantity of cabbage can cause adverse side effects, such as intestinal irritation, flatulence, diarrhoea and hypothyroidism. Experts also suggest not to consume cabbage from two weeks prior to any surgical procedure as it can interfere with blood sugar levels.
How to incorporate Cabbage into the Diet?
Cabbage can be incorporated into the diet as a vegetable or can be added to a huge number of dishes. It can be consumed raw or cooked. Some of the ways by which it can be incorporated into the diet are as follows:
- As a vegetable.
- Added to salads, stews, sandwiches, soups, and slaws.
- Used in flatbreads and pickles.
How to prepare Patta Gobhi Matar?
Heat 1.5 to 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan. Splutter 1 tsp of cumin.
Add ¾ to 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste. Stir and saute till their raw aroma goes.
Add ½ cup finely chopped onion and saute it, till they become translucent.
Add ½ cup of finely chopped tomatoes. Add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, and ½ tsp red chili powder. Stir and saute till the oil starts releasing from the sides of the mixture.
Add 4 cups of shredded cabbage. Add 1 cup of fresh green peas. Stir well and add salt, as required.
Cover the pan and steam the veggies. Cook till the peas are softened.
Lastly, add ½ tsp of garam masala powder and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and serve.