Cinnamon ‘Daalcheene‘ – an aromatic agent, besides being used as a spice in many cuisines, offers amazing health benefits.
Cinnamon is the dried up inner bark of Cinnamomum trees. There are two chief types of cinnamon – Ceylon cinnamon and Cassia cinnamon. The most common type of cinnamon used is Cassia cinnamon. The characteristic flavor and fragrance of cinnamon is attributed to the oily part, which is a rich source of compound cinnamaldehyde.
Cinnamon contains several nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. It does not contain proteins, sugars, fat, sodium, and cholesterol. One teaspoon of ground cinnamon contains 6 calories.
It also contains calcium 26mg, potassium 11 mg, carbohydrate 2 gm, magnesium 1.5 mg, phosphorus 2 mg, etc. It has traces of antioxidants such as beta-carotene, lutein, beta-cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin, lycopene, and vitamins B & K.
Possible Health Benefits of Cinnamon…
1/5. Prevents cancer
1. The antioxidant properties of cinnamon protect against cancerous tumor growth, damage to DNA, and cell mutation. The compound, cinnamaldehyde in cinnamon restricts the growth of the tumor and protects DNA against damage.
2. The high amount of anti-carcinogen content of cinnamon kills certain types of cancer cells thus, preventing certain cancers such as skin cancer.
3. Cinnamon extracts are beneficial against leukemia and lymphomas.
2/5. Reduces the risk of heart diseases
1. Cinnamate compound present in cinnamon decreases the activity of an enzyme that makes cholesterol. It decreases triglycerides, total cholesterol, and bad cholesterol.
2. The compound, cinnamaldehyde in cinnamon reduces high blood pressure.
3. Coumarins present in cinnamon prevent the narrowing of blood vessels and protects against blood clots.
4. Cinnamon accelerates circulation and enhances tissue repair, which helps regenerate heart tissue which helps fight stroke, heart attacks, and heart disease.
5. Cinnamon reduces the risk of several heart diseases.
3/5. Fights bacterial and fungal infections
1. Cinnamaldehyde, one of the active components of cinnamon possesses antifungal and antibacterial properties and the essential oils of cinnamon contain effective immune-boosting compounds.
2. The antimicrobial property of cinnamon decreases bad breath and prevents tooth decay.
4/5. Promotes weight loss
1. Cinnamon tea helps in losing body fat and reduction in waist circumference.
2. Cinnamon produces easy satiety and restricts hunger attacks thereby, leading to weight loss.
5/5. Other possible benefits…
Cinnamon is further beneficial in reducing gastrointestinal complaints, promoting smooth digestion, decreasing blood sugar levels, enhancing hearing capabilities, reducing allergy symptoms, relieving arthritic pain, reducing acne, curing impotence, decreasing inflammation, boosting blood circulation, maintaining skin health, improving brain functioning, reducing bladder infections, decreasing menstrual cramps, treating and healing chronic wounds, enhancing the mood, delaying ageing etc.
Cinnamon is full of healing antioxidant, anti-carcinogen, antifungal and antibacterial properties. It also has amazing weight loss properties.
How to use Cinnamon?
Cinnamon can be used in several different ways, some of them are as follows:
- In soups.
- In spices.
- In doughnuts.
- Marinate meat.
- As cinnamon water.
- Add to Indian Curries.
- • As cinnamon tea or coffee.
- In Sweet and savory dishes.
- Sprinkle on warm porridge.
- In baking products such as crumbles, pies, cookies, etc.
How to prepare Cinnamon Tea?
Take 1 cinnamon stick and 1 cup of water in a pan. Bring it to boil. Cover it for about 10 minutes.
Take 1 tea bag and steep it for 1-2 minutes. Remove the tea bag and cinnamon stick.
Sweeten with honey or any other sweetener for taste, if desired.