Corn ‘Maize or ‘Makai’, as we know is known to have been first domesticated in Mexico region of Central Americas, around 10000 years back. In India, corn has become the this most important food crop after rice and wheat and is an integral part of the Indian Kitchen due to the various culinary uses and its potential health benefits.
Corn, also known as maize, bhutta, or makai is a starchy vegetable. It contains kernels on a cob which is covered by a husk. These kernels range in a variety of colors from white, bright yellow, red, and orange. Sweet corn is one of the most commonly used varieties of corn.
Nutritional Facts of Corn
The majority of nutrients of corn are enclosed in the kernels of the seeds.
As per the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, 166 gm of corn contains 606 calories, 8 gm of fats, 58 mg of sodium, 123 gm of carbohydrates, 12 gm of fiber, 16 gm of proteins, 1 gm of sugars, 0.8 mg of vitamin E, 0.5 mcg of vitamin K, 0.6 mg of thiamine, 6 mg of niacin, 0.3 mg of riboflavin, 1 mg of vitamin B6, 31.5 mcg of folate, 0.7 mg of pantothenic acid, 11.6 mg of calcium, 4.5 mg of iron, 476 mg of potassium, 211 mg of magnesium, 349 mg of phosphorus, 3.7 mg of zinc, 0.5 mg of copper, and 25.7 mcg of selenium.
Potential Health Benefits of Corn ‘Bhutta’
1/5. Reduces the risk of Anaemia
1. Folic acid, Vitamin B12, and iron present in maize help the production of red blood cells which decreases the risk of anemia.
2. Maize helps eliminate the symptoms associated with anemia like fatigue, exhaustion, weakness, shortness of breath, and dizziness.
3. Adequate iron in the body is vital for the health of hair, skin, and hair.
2/5. Lowers cholesterol level
1. The high fiber content of bhutta helps in reducing the cholesterol levels.
2. Corn helps in regulating insulin thus; it is an ideal food for lowering cholesterol levels.
3. The omega-3 fatty acids present in corn strips away the damaging bad cholesterol and replace them at the binding sites thus, reducing cholesterol absorption in the body.
3/5. Improves Vision
1. The lutein and zeaxanthin content of corn helps improve vision. Lack of these carotenoids results in macular degeneration and cataract.
2. Maize is a good source of beta-carotene, which forms vitamin A. Vitamin A is vital for the maintenance of good vision.
4/5. Prevents cancer
1. Corn is an excellent source of antioxidants which plays an essential role in eliminating the free radicals from the body. The buildup of these free radicals results in cancer. The phytochemicals present in corn are a good source of antioxidants.
2. Maize also can induce the death of cancer cells and leaves healthy cells unaffected.
5/5. Other possible Benefits…
Bhutta produces several health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces a few more such as enhances energy,reduces the risk of birth defects in the baby, preserves healthy skin,prevents diverticular disease, prevents hemorrhoids, promotes growth, useful in weight gain, provides minerals, controls blood sugar, prevents constipation, and reduce inflammation.
Containing cell-proliferant and wound-healing substance allantoin, maize ‘makai’ ingredients are still widely used in the traditional and herbal medicine.
How to use corn?
Corn is used for the culinary purpose in a variety of ways. It can be used in several cuisines. It can be used in various ways. It can be boiled, steamed, baked, grilled, braised, or even cooked. It can be used in the following ways…
- As a snack.
- Added in salads.
- Used in a stew or soup.
- Popped to make popcorn.
- Used to prepare corn syrup.
- Its seeds become cornmeal for chips, tortillas, and crackers.
How to prepare Creamy Corn Cake?
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Grease a 9×9 inch baking dish.
In a medium bowl, combine the ½ cup melted butter, 2 beaten eggs, 1 packet corn bread mix, whole corn, creamed corn, and 1 cup sour cream.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Bake the mix in the preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Serve fresh and warm.