Flaxseeds (Linumusitatissimum) also referred to as commonflax, linseeds,alasi, aliviraaii, or brown-seeded flaxis seeds of the flax plant. Offering amazing health benefits, flaxseeds are available in the form of seeds, flour, oils, tablets, powder, and capsules.
There are two basic types of flax seeds – brown and golden. The brown seeds possess a stronger flavour as compared to the golden seeds. These seeds have a hard, crunchy covering and they possess an earthy aroma. Flax seeds can be added to both savory and sweet foods as they have a slightly mild and nutty flavour.
Nutritional facts of Flaxseeds
Flax seeds contain a high source of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. It contains proteins, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. It also contains lysine, lignans, valine, tryptophan, and tyrosine.
As per the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, a tablespoon of ground flaxseed, weighing 7 gm contains 37.4 calories, 1.28 gm of proteins, 2.95 gm of fats, 2 gm of carbohydrates, 1.91 gm of fibre, 27.4 mg of magnesium, 56.9 mg of potassium, 44.9 mg of phosphorus, 17.8 mg of calcium, 6.09 mcg of folate, and 45.6 mcg of lutein and zeaxanthin.
Potential Health Benefits of Flaxseeds…
1/5. Lowers risk of cancer
1. The lignans found in flaxseeds contribute towards the reduction in the risk of Cancer. Lignans hinder the growth and spread of tumor cells.
2. The antioxidant properties of some components of flaxseeds protect against cancer. Flaxseeds protect against certain types of cancer such as colon, skin, breast, and prostate cancers. The omega-3 fatty acids present in flaxseeds hinder the growth of different types of cancer cells.
2/5. Aids digestion
The soluble and insoluble fiber content of flaxseeds aids in digestion. The soluble fiber helps in softening the stool and easy elimination while the insoluble fiber helps in stimulating the digestive system and promoting bowel regularity.
3/5. Aids weight control
The soluble fibre content of flaxseeds decreases hunger. Flaxseeds trigger a host of hormones that control appetite and produce a feeling of fullness thus, helps in weight control.
4/5. Useful in skin care
1. Consumption of flaxseeds leads to reduced skin sensitivity, and decreased skin roughness, and scaling.
2. Flaxseed enhances the hydration and smoothness of the skin.
5/5. Other possible Benefits
Flaxseeds produces numerous health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces few more such as decreases cholesterol levels, lowers blood pressure, improves immune function, controls blood sugar, maintains the heart’s natural rhythm, reduces inflammation, prevents heart attacks and strokes, eases the symptoms of arthritis, restores the skin’s pH balance and improves hot flashes and related symptoms due to the onset of menopause in women.
Flex seeds are nutrient rich and full of fiber, a tablespoon of it is enough to put you on a path of healthy weight loss
How to use Flaxseeds for Cooking?
ways in which flaxseeds are added for cooking, some of them are as follows…
- Used as a snack.
- Mixing into yogurt.
- As a salad dressing.
- Mixing into smoothies.
- Adding into cookie, bread, muffin.
- Adding in water as an egg substitute.
- Added to dark sauces or meat mixtures.
- Mixed into mayonnaise for sandwiches.
- Sprinkling over hot or cold breakfast cereal.
How to prepare Flaxseed Smoothie?
Take 2 tbsp flaxseeds, 1 cup chilled and roughly chopped strawberries, ½ cup chilled and roughly chopped bananas and 2 tsp honey.
Add all of them in 1 cup flavored soya milk, and blend it in a juicer till the mixture turns smooth.
Pour the smoothie in the glass and garnish it with 2 strawberries and 2 bananas slices.