Iodised salt is a salt to which iodine is added. As iodine is not made in the body, iodine is fortified in salt so that iodine deficiencies can be avoided.
Iodised salt is very vital for the body as it helps to sustain a healthy balance of iodine in the body. Lack of iodine in the body leads to iodine deficiency disorders like gaiters, hypothyroidism, cretinism, low fertility rate etc. The daily requirement of iodine in adults is 150 mcg (a pinch/micro spoon size) while for pregnant women it is 220 mcg.
Besides its possible health benefits iodised salt is used as a food preservative and is also added to the food to enhance flavour.
Iodized salt contains traces of iodine. One-fourth teaspoon, that is 1.5 gm of iodized salt contains zero calories and 590 mg of sodium.
Potential Health Benefits of Iodised Salt…
1/5. Improves thyroid function
1. The iodine content of iodised salt helps in the production of thyroid hormones,thyroxine, L and triiodothyronine. These hormones are important in regulating metabolism and in normal growth and development.
2. Iodised salt helps in balancing the iodine content in the body thus, preventing iodine deficiency disorders such as goiter, hypothyroidism (Low Thyroid Function) and intellectual disabilities in infants and children whose mothers were iodine deficient during pregnancy.
2/5. Fights depression
1. Salt is a natural mood-elevating substance hence, it is beneficial in treating numerous types of depression.
2. The iodine content of iodized salt helps fight against depression and feelings of anxiety and frustration.
3/5. Promotes healthy pregnancies
1. The iodine content of iodised salt, during pregnancy, helps maintains normal thyroid functioning. Thyroid helps regulate the hormones which control body temperature, heart rate, metabolism, and other core functions.
2. Obtaining adequate iodine from iodised salt ensures that the baby develops a normal and healthy thyroid.
3. Iodised salt prevents underdeveloped thyroid in the fetus. It also prevents deafness, developmental delays, low IQ, birth defects, cretinism, etc, which arise due to iodine deficiency.
4. Intake of iodised salt provides adequate iodine to the pregnant mother preventing stillbirth, miscarriages, preterm delivery, and congenital abnormalities in their babies.
4/5. Improves brain function
1. The iodine content of iodised salt helps in promoting healthy brain development.
2. The iodine content helps in improving brain functions like the ability to learn, memory, and concentration.
3. Iodized salt prevents brain damage, cretinism, and mental retardation.
4. In childhood, lack of iodine leads to decreased intellectual, irreversible mental retardation, and motor performance and an increased risk for ADHD.
5/5. Other possible Benefits…
Apart from the health benefits mentioned above, iodised salt also produces a few more such as, prevents breast cysts, aids in weight control, cures dry and flaky skin, removes toxins, prevents developmental disorders, treats irritable bowel syndrome, improves the growth of hair and nails, develops and maintains healthy teeth, fights cancer, promotes heart health, regulate the heart rate and blood pressure, prevents endemic goiter, and prevents iodine deficiency.
Lack of iodine in the body leads to iodine deficiency disorders like gaiters, hypothyroidism, cretinism, Low fertility rate…
How to use Iodised salt in Cooking?
Iodized salt is used to as a preservative and to add flavour to the dishes. It can be used in several different ways, some of them are as follows:
- In fried foods
- To preserve food.
- Add to marinades.
- Used to sauté and grill.
- To season fish or burgers.
- Sprinkled on roasted veggies.
- In snacks such as fried peanuts or fried legumes.
- As a flavouring agent in several types of Indian meals.
- To flavour soups, salads, sauces pasta, stir-fries, and potatoes.
- Used in an omelet, scrambled eggs, fried rice, tofu scramble, etc.
How to prepare Rosemary-Lemon?
Preheat the oven to 230 degrees F.
Take the grated zest of 1 lemon and 3 tablespoons of fresh finely chopped rosemary leaves.
Put rosemary and lemon zest into a food processor and add 1 cup of coarse sea salt. Mix everything thoroughly.
Take a baking sheet and transfer the mixture over it and bake for 15-20 minutes.
After removing it from the oven, check if there are any lumps, pulse it again into the food processor.
Allow it to cool then, store the rosemary-lemon sea salt in an airtight container.