Health Benefits of Kiwi ‘Kiwifruit’
Kiwi (Kiwifruit) is a nutritiously better alternative fruit to some of the commonly consumed fruits that offers amazing well documented health benefits. Christened a superfood, kiwis offer more than double the vitamin c ‘repair, growth and development’ benefits compared to oranges. It also has around six times more nutrition density compared to apples.
Though a native fruit of China, Kiwi fruit got its name due to its commercialised plantation taking off in the New Zealand, around the turn of 1900. States of Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir and colder regions of Kerala, Karnataka, and West Bengal (Darjeeling) have started to experiment with kiwi plantation.
Recently introduced to India farmlands, kiwi ‘Chinese gooseberry’ is fast becoming a must have fruit on the Indian middle class dining table, due to the immense health benefits it offers. States like Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir and colder regions of Kerala, Karnataka, and West Bengal (Darjeeling) have started to experiment with kiwi plantation.
Kiwi, also known as kiwifruit or Chinese gooseberry, is a small, plum-sized fruit. The skin of kiwi is brown and the edible flesh is pale green. The flesh is speckled with a ring of tiny edible black seeds. Kiwifruit has a tangy and exotic taste.
Nutritional Facts of Kiwi
Kiwi comprises a range of nutrients like copper, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, fiber, folate, potassium, and antioxidants.
As per the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, kiwi contains 108 calories, 2 gm of proteins, 5.3 gm of fiber, 25.9 gm of carbohydrates, 15.9 gm of sugars, 164 mg of vitamin C, 2.6 mg of vitamin E, 71.3 mcg of vitamin K, 0.6 mg of niacin, 44.2 mcg of folate, 13.8 mg of choline, 0.5 mg of iron, 5.3 mg of sodium, 60.2 mg of calcium, 552 mg of potassium, 60.2 mg of phosphorous, 30.1 mg of magnesium, 0.2 mg of zinc, and 0.2 mg of copper.
Potential Health Benefits of Kiwi ‘Kiwifruit’
1/5. Promotes vision health
1. Kiwifruits are rich in vitamin C which keeps the tissues and cells of the eyes healthy. The vitamin A content of Kiwi is also beneficial for eye health.
2. It also is a great source of two powerful antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthin which promote eye health. These antioxidants prevent age-related macular degeneration. They absorb excess light which may damage the retina.
2/5. Fights inflammation
1. Kiwi contains a peptide known as kissper, which helps in fighting against inflammation. Kissper and kiwellin are proteins present in kiwifruit that possess anti-inflammatory properties.
2. Bromelain found in kiwi breaks down proteins and heals inflammation.
3. Kiwi reduces the inflammation relating to arthritis and prevents it from progressing to other diseases such as stroke and heart disease.
4. The high amounts of vitamin C present in kiwi help in reducing inflammation by fighting against free radicals.
3/5. Promotes digestion
1. The fiber content of kiwi helps promote digestion. Fiber treats constipation and diarrhea.
2. The potassium content of kiwi also helps the digestive system.
3. Actinidin, an enzyme present in kiwi aids digestion. It promotes the digestion of food proteins.
4/5. Regulates blood pressure
1. The antioxidant lutein, found in kiwi possesses the blood regulating properties.
2. The vitamin C found in kiwis also contributes towards the lowering of blood pressure.
3. The Potassium content of kiwi relaxes the blood vessels thus, regulating blood pressure.
4. Kiwi helps in lowering diastolic and systolic blood pressure thus, preventing stroke and heart attacks.
5/5. Other possible benefits…
Kiwi produces several health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces few more such as improves lung function, aids cancer treatment, promotes heart health, aids diabetes treatment, promotes healthy weight loss, promotes liver health, prevents blood clotting, improves respiratory health, promotes bone health, promotes sleep, enhances skin health, supports immune function, reduces DNA damage, improves skin health, clears out toxins and prevents kidney stone.
Cholesterol free, fat free, Gluten free and full of potent other benefits, Kiwi ‘superfood’ fruit, is a must for people who are working towards reclaiming their health.
How to incorporate Kiwi in the Diet?
It is easy to eat kiwi. It can be best consumed fresh. They can be added in several different ways to the diet. Some of the ways by which this fruit can be incorporated into the diet are as follows…
- Can be eaten fresh.
- Added to fruit salad.
- Used to prepare a smoothie.
- Used to prepare a fruit cocktail.
- Added as a garnish for a variety of dishes.
- Place freeze slices of kiwi over any dessert.
How to prepare Melon and Kiwi Fruit Smoothie?
Take 1 cut Kiwi, 2-3 Papaya slices, 2 Melon slices, Grapes, 1 sliced Plum, 1 glass milk, 1/2-1 tsp honey, and 1/2 cup oats. Mix all the ingredients in a blender and blend it well.
Serve it chilled.