A native fruit of Indian subcontinent, Mango ‘Aam’ is a called a super fruit because of its potential anti obesity, anti-inflammatory, anti cancer and ‘aphrodisiac’ health benefits. Mango ‘The King of Fruits’ is also known as an ultimate indulgence and is revered as a fruit associated with romance.
Mango is a sweet and succulent fruit of Mangifera Indica tree. This fruit has a fleshy outer section that surrounds a pit. The pit contains a seed. There are several different kinds of mango varying in shape, colour and flavour. The colour of the skin of mango helps in differentiating between unripe and ripe mangoes.
Nutritional Facts of Mango ‘Aam’
Mangoes are a rich source of minerals and vitamins. It contains vitamin A, vitamin C, folate, riboflavin, niacin, and vitamin K. It also contains antioxidants such as beta-carotene and zeaxanthin.
As per the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, 1 cup of sliced mango, weighing approximately 165 gm contains 99 calories, 1.35 gm of proteins, 2.64 gm of fiber, 24.7 gm of carbohydrates, 0.6 gm of fat, 22.5 gm of sugars, 0.2 mg of iron, 1.2 mg of calcium, 277 mg of potassium, 1.65 mg of sodium, 71 mcg of folate, and 60.1 mcg of vitamin C.
Potential Health Benefits of Mangoes…
Supports eye health
1. The vitamin A and beta-carotene content present in mangoes promote eye health.
2. Mango is rich in antioxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin which promotes vision health.
3. These two compounds protect the retina and the lens, protect the eyes from harmful ultraviolet rays and delays the progression of cataracts and macular degeneration.
1. Mangoes possess abundant amounts of pectin which is known for its anti-cancer properties and for preventing prostate cancers.
2. Beta-carotene content of mango prevents skin cancer.
3. The polyphenols present in mango reduces the oxidative stress and stops the growth of various cancer cells
4. The antioxidants such as fisetin, quercetin, isoquercitrin, gallic acid, and astragalin present in mango protect against various types of cancers such as breast, colon, and leukaemia.
The high iron content of mangoes ‘aam’ helps in treating anaemia. The vitamin C in mangoes aids in the adequate absorption of iron.
1. The high content of pectin, fibre, and vitamin C present in mango helps in controlling blood cholesterol levels.
2. Mangiferin, a compound present in mango helps reduce cholesterol levels. It also increases the good cholesterol.
Mango ‘aam’ traces it’s routes to the Palaeocene mango leaf fossils found in the state of Meghalaya, India. Mango grew in the sub-continent even before the Indian and Asian plates joined together.
Other possible benefits…
Aam ‘Mango’ produces several health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces few more such asimproves immunity, reduces the risk of heart disease, improves digestive health, treats diabetes, promotes brain health.
Aam also help ease constipation, possess anti-aging properties, aids weight loss, promote liver health, enhance skin health, improve hair health, act as an aphrodisiac, prevent heat stroke, and improve concentration and memory.
How to add Mango to the Diet?
Mangoes can be easily incorporated into several sweets, meals, or savory. They can be consumed either in the raw or ripe form. Some of the ways by which mango can be incorporated in the diet are as follows…
- Quinoa salads.
- Added to yogurt or oats.
- Served overcooked fish.
- Add to salsa and smoothies.
- Tossed into a summer salad.
- Served with other tropical fruits.
- Used to prepare milkshakes and ice cream.
- Add to tuna or chicken salad or garden salad.
- Added to chia pudding or coconut milk ice cream.
How to prepare Mango Ice Cream?
Take 2-3 mangoes and chop them. Add them in a blender and blend till smooth.
Add little sugar & ½ tsp vanilla extract to the mango pulp.
Mix well till the sugar dissolves.
In another bowl, whip cream with an electric beater.
Add the mango pulp to the whipped cream and mix it gently and evenly.
Pour the ice cream mixture in a box and cover the container tightly with a lid.
Keep the ice cream in the freezer for a few hours till it is half set then, remove the ice cream and whip it again in the blender till it gets smooth.
Pour it in the same container and freeze till set. Cover the container with a lid.
Serve the mango ice cream scoops topped with honey or chocolate sauce.