Health Benefits of Muskmelon (Kharbuja)
Though the origins of Muskmelon (Kharbuja) still is up for debate, the amazing health benefits are not. Part of traditional medicine, muskmelon, for eons, has been used for its beneficial effects on balancing the body – alleviating pitta and vata dosha, easing out stomach & digestion concerns, is a good diuretic – good for kidney related issues amongst its various other benefits.
Muskmelon is also known as cantaloupe and in Hindi, it is referred to as Kharbuja. The fruit is round or oblong-shaped with light yellow to orange colour skin. Kharbuja has a soft consistency and a juicy texture. It has a sweet musky aroma. The hollow cavity in the centre of the fruit contains small off-white coloured seeds.
Nutritional Facts of Kharbuja
Kharbuja has zero cholesterol and a high Vitamin B complex. It is rich with numerous minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and sodium.
As per the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, 100 gm of muskmelon contains 34 kcal, 0.9 gm of fiber, 8.6 gm of carbohydrates, 0.84 gm of protein, 0.19 gm of fat, 21 mcg of folates, 0.73 mg of niacin, 36.7 mg of vitamin C, 2.5 mcg of vitamin K, 267 mg of potassium, 12 mg of magnesium, 1 mg of sodium, 9 mg of calcium, 0.21 mg of iron, and 0.18 mg of zinc.
Potential Health Benefits of Muskmelon ‘Kharbuja’
1/5. Prevents cancer
1. The high content of Vitamin C and beta-carotene present in muskmelons removes the free radicals from the body thereby, preventing the risk of cancer.
2. The anti-inflammatory properties possessed by muskmelon helps in decreasing the risk of cancerous cells.
2/5. Relieves constipation
1. The high fiber and water content of muskmelon play a vital role in the adequate functioning of the digestive system, in regulating constipation, indigestion, and other digestive complaints.
2. The dietary fibre in muskmelon relieves constipation by adding bulk to the diet.
3/5. Improves vision
1. The beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, and lutein content of muskmelon promote eye health.
2. The high content of vitamin A and beta carotene in muskmelon helps improve the vision and lowers the risk of developing cataracts.
3. Vitamin A also strengthens the eye muscles and promotes healthy eye function. Regular consumption of muskmelon can prevent age-related vision loss.
4/5. Prevents kidney stones
1. Oxykine, an extract of musk melon possesses qualities of curing and preventing kidney conditions and stones.
2. The high water content in muskmelon helps in cleansing the kidneys by releasing toxins from the kidney.
5/5. Other possible benefits…
Muskmelon produces several health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces a few more such as fixes acidity, promotes digestion, relieves constipation,strengthens the immune system, controls blood pressure, combats stress, prevents diabetic nephropathy, treats insomnia, cures menstrual problems, aids in weight loss, benefits pregnant women, expels intestinal worms, alleviates toothache, treats arthritis, hydrates and rejuvenates skin, possesses anti-aging properties.
Also helps in treating eczema and other skin problems, combat hair loss, reduce cholesterol, treat ulcers, cure sleeping disorder, ease out menstrual cramps, help quit smoking, prevent heart diseases, soothes stomach ulcers, suppress sleeping disorder, relieve cough and congestion, make the hair and nails strong, protect the heart, strengthening bones and muscles,prevent dehydration and promote hair growth.
Muskmelon (Kharbuja) should be a ‘must have’ summer fruit in India due to its high beta-carotene, folic acid, potassium, vitamins C and A rich water content and the related health benefits.
How to incorporate Muskmelon in the Diet?
Muskmelon is best consumed when ripe. Some of the ways by which muskmelon can be incorporated into the diet are as follows:-
- Added in salads.
- Used in ice cream.
- Used to prepare kheer.
- Used to prepare juices, smoothie, sorbets, slush, and milkshakes.
How to prepare Muskmelon-Mint Slush?
Take 2 cups of muskmelon, cut them into small pieces.
Blend the muskmelon and mint with black salt into a smooth puree.
Take a shallow container, and pour the mix into it.
Freeze it for 3-4 hours.
Again, blend and liquidise the mixture until it turns slushy
Pour the slushy mixture into glasses, garnish it with mint leaves. Serve chilled.