Oolong tea, a native of the Fujian province of China, traces its origin 400 years back and is scientifically known as Camellia Sinensis.
Inside Oolong Tea… Oolong is known to have immense health benefits because of presence of catechin and caffeine, which are known to fight free radicals that help the body fight against diseases.
A cup of oolong is a heady and healthy concoction of various vital vitamins and minerals such as calcium, manganese, copper, carotin, selenium, and potassium, as well as vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin K. Additionally, it also contains folic acid, niacin amide and other detoxifying alkaloids.
Health Benefits of Oolong Tea
The benefits cannot be seen magically and a prolonged period of consumption is required to get the most out of this tea.
1. Aids in Weight Loss. This tea gradually boosts the mechanism of the body, leading to consistent weight loss, by boosting the metabolism for up to 2 hours of drinking it. The polyphenols present in Oolong burns fat by blocking the enzyme that builds fat.
2. Reduces Cholesterol. The oxidising nature of the oolong tea helps in reducing the fat contents from the body thereby helping lowering cholesterol content from the body. The lipase enzyme helps cutting down fat by activating polyphenol molecules.
3. Mental Alertness. Caffeine, a bioactive compound, present in this tea helps in the mental alertness. Make sure to cut down the consumption to 1 cup per day if you are caffeine sensitive.
4. Promotes Digestion. Oolong is a very good antiseptic. People suffering from stomach troubles can regularly drink Oolong tea to kill the unwanted bacteria. Also, due to its anti inflammatory properties, it is reduces any ulcers, relieving people with acid reflux problems.
5. Healthy Hair. The best way to get a lustrous hair and promote hair growth is by rinsing the scalp thoroughly with oolong tea.
6. Healthy Skin. For people, suffering with different skin problems like eczema, allergies and skin sensitivities, anti oxidative nature of oolong tea helps keep eruptions at bay and skin youthful and clear.
7. Helps control Diabetes. Polyphenol, an active anti oxidant found in oolong tea has a wonderful effect on diabetic patients. It is a good alternative for people suffering from Type II diabetes. It has been seen in patients having a long history of insulin resistance, Oolong tea consumed regularly, drastically reduces blood glucose.
8. Stops Tooth Decay. Oolong tea and its inherent antiseptic and anti oxidative properties help protect the teeth from the acid production caused by different type of bacteria. At the same time, this tea can also be effective for patients suffering from pyorrhea.
9. Slows down Osteoporosis. Oolong along with its other properties is rich in calcium and magnesium content. Oolong imitates the process which helps in retaining the minerals from the food that is consumed.
10. Boosts Immune System. Flavonoids helps in preventing cellular damage thereby help strengthening the immune system. Oolong tea, by producing anti bacterial protein, protects the body from foreign attacks.