Domesticated in the Malay Archipelago, oranges ‘santara’ fruit, Known for its amazing ‘citrusy’ flavour and amazing health benefits, is grown in most of the conducive weather zones across the world.
Orange commonly known as ‘Santra’ in Hindi is a round citrus fruit that has thick orange-coloured skin. The thickness of the skin may vary from very thin to very thick. The edible part is the pulpy orange colour flesh. It has a few seeds in the centre which is inedible. Oranges are available in two categories – sweet and bitter.
Nutritional Facts of Orange
Orange offers numerous nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. It also contains zeaxanthin and choline.
As per the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, 100 gm of orange contains 47 calories, 87% of water, 0.9 gm of proteins, 2.4 gm of fiber, 11.8 gm of carbohydrates, 9.4 gm of sugar, and 0.1 gm of fat.
Potential Health Benefits of Orange ‘Santra’
1/5. Promotes eye health
1. Orange contains a high source of carotenoid. Vitamin A found in them helps to promote eye health.
2. Vitamin A helps in keeping the mucus membranes in the eyes healthy. It also improves vision, prevents age-related macular degeneration, and helps the eyes to absorb light.
2/5. Lowers the risk of cancer
1. The D- limonene content present in orange helps in preventing cancers such as skin, breast, and lung cancer.
2. The Vitamin C and antioxidants found in orange help to build the body’s immunity thus helps in fighting against cancer.
3. The fibre content of the fruit possesses cancer-protective properties.
3/5. Prevents kidney stones
The high content of citrates and citric acid found in orange help in preventing the formation of kidney stones. Regular intake of orange reduces the risk of formation of kidney stones.
4/5. Lowers cholesterol
1. The fruit peels of Santracontain a class of compounds called Polymethoxylated Flavones, which possess the potential to reduce cholesterol.
2. Fiber content too helps in reducing cholesterol. Intake of isolated fibers helps reduce blood cholesterol levels.
3. The hesperidin compounds and flavonoids such as pectin present in orange protect fat absorption in the body and carry it out thus, reducing cholesterol.
5/5. Other possible Benefits…
Santra produces several health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces few more such as Lowers high blood pressure, maintains skin health, treats arthritis, promotes brain development, maintains sperm health, strengthens the immune system, promotes weight loss, protects against infections, relieves constipation, maintains bone and teeth health, prevents ulcers.
Orange (Santra) also helps treat cold and flu, prevent hair loss, treats inflammation, cure bronchitis, treat arteriosclerosis, remove dark spots, beneficial for blackhead, prevent anaemia, treat acne, control blood sugar, prevent skin damage and treat mouth odour.
A single orange can give you more than 100% of daily dietary health boosting Vitamin C requirement.
How to incorporate Oranges into the Diet?
Oranges can be consumed in the fresh form. Some of the ways by which they can be incorporated into the diet are as follows:-
- As juice.
- Consumed as fresh.
- Used in fruit salads.
- In vegetable salads.
- Used to prepare jellies, marmalades, and jams.
How to prepare Carrot Orange Juice?
Take 1 medium, sliced tomato, 1 medium, peeled and sliced orange, 1 medium sliced apple, and 4 large peeled carrots and process it in a juicer.
Fill 2 glasses with ice and pour the juice into the glasses. Serve the Carrot Orange juice fresh.