Health benefits and healing benefits of Pomegranates ‘anaar’ have been talked about for millennia. Loaded with potential antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti carcinogenic effects, pomegranate fruit and its seeds, flowers, root bark, trunk bark have defined therapeutic applications in traditional medicine systems such as Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani and Homoeopathy.
Pomegranates seeds are ruby-red, juicy seeds found inside the pomegranate fruit. The edible part of the fruit is the arils and the seeds which are consumed raw or either are processed into juice. The seeds of pomegranate are fibrous and hard and each seed is enclosed in a juicy and sweet covering called an aril. These seeds add a punch of flavour to the dish that it is added to.
Nutritional facts of Pomegranate ‘Anaar’ seeds
The pomegranate seeds contain a high amount of fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C, and an abundance of other nutrients. They contain several phenolic acids and polyphenols such as flavonoids, tannins, anthocyanin, and lignans. It contains two compounds, punicalagins, and punicic acid.
As per the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, 100 gm of pomegranate, contains 83 calories, 1.6 gm of proteins, 4 gm of fiber, 18.7 gm of carbohydrates, 1.1 gm of fat, 36 mg of phosphorus, 236 mg of potassium, 10 mg of calcium, 0.35 mg of zinc, 0.3 mg of iron, 3 mg of sodium, 10.2 mg of Vitamin C, 38 mg of folate, and 16.4 mg of vitamin K.
Potential Health Benefitsof Pomegranate seeds
1. The extracts present in pomegranate block the enzymes are known to damage the joints in people with osteoarthritis.
2. The high concentration of antioxidants and the anti-inflammatory properties of pomegranate seeds helps in decreasing the inflammation and treating arthritis.
3. Flavonols found in pomegranate blocks the inflammation that contributes to osteoarthritis.
The polyphenols content of pomegranate helps in improving memory function. The high amounts of antioxidants in pomegranate arrests the progress of Alzheimer’s disease and protects memory.
1. Pomegranates being rich in vitamin C, boosts the antibody production thus, aids in the development of immunity.
2. The anti-inflammatory properties of pomegranates help treat immune-related disorders such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Pomegranates boost immunity thus, preventing common illnesses and infections.
Lowers blood pressure
1. The antioxidants present in pomegranates helps reduce high blood pressure.
2. Pomegranate helps reduce systolic blood pressure.
3. The punicic acid content of pomegranate reduces triglycerides, cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
Pomegranate has been part of ancient medicine cabinet. They are part of the superfood category, due to their various documented health benefits.
Other possible benefits…
Pomegranate seeds produce numerous health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces few more such as help fight prostate cancer, lowers the risk of heart disease, helps treat erectile dysfunction, fights bacterial and fungal infections, improves exercise performance, prevents cancer, improves digestion, enhances sexual performance and fertility, lowers blood sugar, fights erectile dysfunction, fights heart disease, prevents atherosclerosis, helps digestion, lowers stress levels, prevents plaque formation,and is useful against breast cancer.
How to use Pomegranate Seeds in your Diet?
Pomegranate seeds can be easily included in the diet. They can be consumed in the raw form. Some of the ways of incorporating pomegranate seeds in the diet are as follows:
- Added to drinks.
- Just peel and eat it.
- Added to bruschetta.
- Sprinkled on desserts.
- In sweet-and-sour stew.
- Served alongside olives.
- To garnish meat dishes.
- Added to avocado toast.
- To prepare pomegranate dip.
- To prepare pomegranate juice.
- As a garnish on salads and dishes.
- Sprinkled on black olive tapenade.
How to prepare chopped herb pomegranate salad?
Take 1 lemon juice and zest, 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses, 1tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp sugar, and some seasoning in a large bowl and whisk all the ingredients together.
Take 2 deseeded and finely chopped cucumber, 2 large deseeded and finely chopped tomatoes, pomegranate seeds of 1 pomegranate, small bunch chopped parsley, small bunch chopped dil, and small bunch chopped mint. Add them to the above mixture.
Toss everything thoroughly and serve.