Though long considered to be a jungle berry in India, raspberries ‘rasbhari’ are fast reclaiming its place in the Indian Kitchen as a nutraceutical – a medicinal berry that potentially offers amazing health benefits.
Raspberry is a reddish-pink fruit. They appear as little bunches of drupelets which are tightly packed together. They have a sharp and sweet taste. There are various types of raspberries such as red, purple, black, golden, or yellow. Red raspberry is the commonest available.
Nutritional Facts of Raspberry
Raspberries are a good source of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. Raspberry has one of the highest Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity.
As per the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, 100 gm of raspberry contains 52 calories, 1.2 gm of proteins, 6.5 gm of fiber, 11.94 gm of carbohydrates, 0.65 gm of fats, 0.69 mg of iron, 25 mg of calcium, 22 mg of magnesium, 151 mg of potassium, 29 mg of phosphorous, 1 mg of sodium, 0.42 mg of zinc, 0.59 mg of niacin, 21 µg of folates, 2 µg of vitamin A, 0.87 mg of vitamin E, and 7.8 µg of vitamin K.
Potential Health Benefits of Raspberry ‘Rasbhari’
1/5. Boosts eye health
1. The polyphenolic compounds and flavonoids present in raspberries boost eye health. Thevitamin A and C content fights eye disease by cleansing the eye membranes and preventing drying.
2. The high content of vitamin C protects eye damage and prevents the formation of cataracts.
3. The antioxidant zeaxanthin found in raspberry filters out harmful blue light rays.
4. It protects the eyes from age-related macular degeneration.
2/5. Prevents cancer
1. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds of raspberry aids in the prevention of cancer by decreasing the reproduction of cancer cells.
2. The high content of ellagic acid in raspberries contributes towards the prevention of various cancers such as cancers of the lung, skin, bladder, oesophagus, and breast. Elegiac acid slows down the reproduction of certain cancer cells.
3/5. Boosts memory
1. Raspberries are rich in phytonutrients which help in boosting and maintaining memory function.
2. The polyphenol content of raspberries helps in enhancing the age-related cognitive decline.
3. The vitamins C and E present in raspberry helps protect a person’s ability to think and memorise as they get older.
4/5. Enhances fertility
1. The high antioxidant content of rasbhari protects the sperms from oxidative damage. It also protects the embryo post-conception, hence, reducing the risk of miscarriage.
2. The vitamin C and magnesium content boost male fertility and the production of testosterone respectively.
3. The zinc content of the fruit helps stimulate libido.
4. The proanthocyanidins content relaxed the blood vessels, permitting the blood to flow to the sensitive areas for greater arousal.
5/5. Other possible benefits…
Raspberry produces several health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces few more such as keeps the joints healthy, prevents diabetes, maintains cardiovascular health, aids weight loss, enhances immunity, slows down ageing, improves digestion, alleviates arthritis, aids women’s health, improves hair health, fights eczema,reduces the risk of heart disease, and boosts immunity.
Raspberries , blackberries, redberries, strawberries etc have one of the highest Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity.
How to incorporate Raspberry in the Diet?
Raspberry can be consumed either in the fresh or frozen forms. They make a tasty addition to several dishes. They can be used in both sweet and savory dishes. Some of the ways by which they can be incorporated into the diet are as follows…
- Used in jams and jellies.
- Added to a chicken salad.
- Consumed fresh as a snack.
- To prepare a fresh fruit cocktail.
- Used to make a sauce for fish or meat.
- Added to smoothies, oatmeal, or yogurt.
- Used as a topping to pancakes or whole-grain waffles.
- Used as a fresh syrup for ice creams, desserts, or sundaes.
How to prepare Berries with Chocolate Sauce?
Take 5 oz of organic dark chocolate and 3 tablespoons of raw sugar. Melt them over medium heat.
Take 6 oz firm silken tofu, ¼th cup water, and melted chocolate in a blender and blend them until smooth. Transfer them into a mixing bowl.
Take four bowls and place chocolate pudding into them. Top it with 1 ½ cups of fresh or frozen blueberries and raspberries.