Health Benefits of Sweet Lime ‘Mosambi’
The origins of Sweet Lime ‘Mosambi’ is difficult to pin BUT its health benefits, dietary and culinary role in the Indian milieu is well researched and documented.
Sweet lime, also known as Mosambi in Hindi is a small, green, round-shaped citrus fruit that turns yellow on ripening. Mosambi is sweet. The skin is thick and the internal edible flesh in yellowish. In the centre, there are few tiny oblong inedible seeds.
Nutritional Value Of Mosambi
Sweet lime is low fat and low calorie fruit. It contains smaller amounts of iron, copper, phosphorus, and calcium.Sweet lime also contains small quantities of flavonoids and other phenolics, carotenoids, and limonoids.
As per the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, 100 gm of mosambi contains 43 calories, 0.3 gm of fats, 9.3 mg of carbohydrates, 0.8 gm of proteins, 490 mg of potassium, 0.7 mg of iron, 40 mg of calcium, 30 mg of phosphorous, and 50 mg of vitamin C.
Potential Health Benefits of Sweet Lime (Mosambi)
1/5. Prevents Scurvy
1. Scurvy is a condition that results due to the deficiency of Vitamin C as sweet lime is a rich source of Vitamin C, its consumption prevents scurvy.
2. Sweet lime arrests the bleeding of gums which is a symptom of scurvy.
2/5. Boosts Immunity
1. The vitamin C content of sweet lime helps in boosting immunity. The antioxidants present in sweet lime helps in decreasing inflammation, accelerating resistance to infections, and regulating the immune system.
2. Flavonoids and limonin present in sweet lime possess antioxidant, anti-cancer, anti-bacterial, and detoxifying properties. It aids in fighting against infections, treating wounds and ulcers, enhancing blood circulation, and boosting the immune system.
3/5. Aids in Digestion
1. Mosambi contains a high source of flavonoids which enhances the secretion of digestive juices, acids, and bile thus, promoting digestion.
2. Consumption of mosambi juice helps in keeping several digestive complaints such as indigestion, irregular bowel movements, etc at bay.
3. Mosambi helps in releasing the saliva through the salivary glands thus, assisting in quick digestion.
4. The fibre content of sweet lime helps in regulating normal digestion and maintaining the health of the bowels. Sweet lime aids in flushing harmful toxins which lead to constipation.
4/5. Promotes Bone Health
1. The vitamin C content of sweet lime aids in reducing swelling and inflammation of the bones thus, preventing rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. It also helps promote bone health.
2. It also enhances the absorption of calcium thus, stimulating the cells to build bone and promote bone health.
5/5. Other possible Benefits…
Sweet lime produces several health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces few more such as treats dehydration, improves vision, attenuates urinary disorder and gout, detoxifies the body, treats common cold, reduces muscle cramps, boosts energy, promotes healthy skin, removes blemishes, cures acne, strengthens hair, beats hunger pangs, burns fat faster, flushes out toxins, relieves constipation.
Sweet Lime ‘Mosambi’ also facilitates weight loss, relieves motion sickness, treats sunstroke and dehydration, benefits the nervous system, treats jaundice, beneficial for asthma, relieves tonsillitis, treats split ends & dandruff, lightens skin tone, detoxifies the body, enhances fairness, cures pimples, fights cancer, cures urinary disorders, regularises blood pressure and cholesterol levels, prevents gout, and boosts blood circulation.
Mausambi, due to its low acidity, helps balance the stomach pH level thereby helping heal any peptic ulcers one suffers from.
Unfortunately named as a fruit one should have only when one is sick, mausambi is one of the best pH balancing drink for the hot and sweltering Indian summers.
How to incorporate Sweet lime into the Diet?
Sweet lime can be easily incorporated into a healthy diet. It is consumed in the fresh form. Some of the ways by which you can enjoy sweet lime are as follows:-
- Used as a garnish.
- Used in baked dishes.
- Added to pasta and salsa.
- Taken in the form of juice.
- Consumed raw as a snack.
- Used in cake, pie, or desserts.
- Used in cocktails and fruit juices.
- Added in fruit and vegetable salads.
- Juice can be used in mocktails, sauces, dressings, or marinades.
- Added like a flavour to the fruit pickles, jams, chutneys, snacks, candies, sorbets, etc.
How to prepare Sweet Lime Orange Lemonade?
In a pan, mix ½ cup of water, 1/3 rd cup of sugar, 4-5 sweet basil leaves, and 4 mint leaves.
Heat the mixture till the sugar gets melted. Then, allow it to cool.
Run the mixture through a sieve to remove any kind of impurities.
Discard the leaves.
Squeeze juice from 2 medium and ripe oranges and 2 medium sweet lime.
Combine this juice with the sugar syrup, take 1 medium lemon and squeeze the lemon juice into the mixture; mix well, and refrigerate it for a minimum of 1 hour.
Add 1/3 cup of the citrus mixture, ice cubes, and tender coconut water. Serve it.