Watermelon seeds, known as tarbooj ke beej in Hindi are tiny, black seeds, inside the watermelon fruit. Highly nutritious, these seeds offer a number of potential health benefits as they are full of health and immunity boasting nutrients like protein, zinc, copper, manganese, B vitamins etc.
These seeds can be consumed in the raw form or in the powdered form. These seeds also help in obtaining seed oil. Watermelon seed oil is derived by cold pressing sun-dried seeds. Seed oil too possesses numerous benefits.
Nutritional value of Watermelon seeds
Watermelon seeds are loaded with several essential nutrients. They possess high amounts of proteins, zinc, magnesium, potassium, copper, vitamins, omega 3, and omega 6 fatty acids. These seeds are nutritious with low calories.
1 cup of watermelon seed, weighing 154 gm contains 46.2 calories, 0.6 gm of fiber, 11.6 gm of carbohydrates, 10.8 mg of calcium, 15.4 mg of magnesium, 16.9 mg of phosphorous, 172 mg of potassium, 12.5 mg of vitamin C, 43.1 mcg of vitamin A, 467 mcg of beta carotene, 3.08 mg of phytosterols, and 4.6 mcg of folate.
Potential Health Benefits of Watermelon seeds
Maintains skin health
1. The oleic acid and linoleum acid present in watermelon seeds helps in making the skin healthy, moisturised and glowing.
2. The antioxidants present ensure smooth skin and delay the ageing process.
3. The vitamin C content helps in promoting healthy skin
4. The zinc content protects the skin against acne, treats herpes simplex, and enhances wound healing.
5. The magnesium content of tarbooj ka seeds prevents age-related disorders, reduces acne and treats several skin-related conditions.
6. The protein found in watermelon seeds maintains the glow of the skin and promotes the production of collagen.
7. Extracts of watermelon seeds help in offering an effective solution for open pores.
8. Vitamin A and C present in watermelon seeds encourages the growth of new collagen.
1. Watermelon seeds contain copper, potassium, and manganese which contribute to strengthening the bones, and in enhancing bone density thus, preventing osteoporosis.
2. Regular intake of dried watermelon seeds prevents the early deterioration of bones.
Controls blood sugar levels
1. The extracts of watermelon seeds are considered to be anti-diabetic hence, they are quite effective in controlling blood sugar levels.
2. The magnesium content of watermelon seeds regulates carbohydrate metabolism, which directly has an impact on the blood sugar level. Magnesium delays the onset of diabetes and prevents insulin dysregulation.
3. The omega-6 fatty acid content of watermelon seeds may help prevent type 2 diabetes.
4. The zinc content in these seeds plays a vital role in insulin action, carbohydrate metabolism, and in reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes in women.
1. The antioxidant properties of watermelon seeds help in decreasing the risk of cancers.
2. The dietary antioxidants in watermelon prevent cancer by combating free radicals.
3. Lycopene content of these seeds is associated with the reduction of prostate cancer cell proliferation.
Watermelon may be a natural viagra. One of its main amino acid called citrulline helps in dilating the blood vessels, just like viagra.
Other possible Benefits…
Watermelon seeds produce several health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces few more such as boosts hair growth, prevents split ends of hair, boosts energy levels,boosts sexual power, urges sexual desire, ensures good functioning of the heart.
Also helps regulate blood pressure, maintain nervous system, promote weight loss, prevent heat stroke, enhance digestion,reduce muscle soreness, increase memory power, strengthen the immune system, improve male fertility, improve brain health, prevent asthma and boosts metabolism.
How to incorporate Watermelon seeds into your diet?
Watermelon can be consumed as sprouted, roasted or in the powder form. The shell can be removed and it can be consumed in the raw form too. They can be incorporated in our diet in the following ways…
- As tea.
- As a snack.
- Added in salads.
- As watermelon seed oil.
- Added in soups or sauces.
- Used in sandwiches or fried rice.
- Used in bread, sweet dishes, and cookies.
How to prepare Peanut Butter, Melon Seed, And Mixed Berry Smoothie?
Take 30 gm of Peanut butter, 50 grams of mix berries, 30 grams of watermelon seeds, 1 banana, 45 ml of soy milk and little honey for sweetness. Blend all of them.
Pour it in a bowl and garnish it with desiccated coconut.