Himalayan Pink Salt is found near the Himalayan foothills in Khewra region of Pakistan. Considered to be a healthier salt, it claims to offer various health benefits and is used extensively in traditional healing treatments, home decor and as a ‘finishing salt’ in the speciality cuisines.
This salt is minimally processed and contains around 98 percent sodium chloride. Rich in minerals, it contains around 84 essential trace elements and the characteristic rosy hue of Himalayan Pink salt is attributed to a huge range of trace minerals which include potassium, calcium, iron, and magnesium.
Himalayan pink salt contains 98 percent sodium chloride and traces of iron, potassium, magnesium, and calcium and also lesser-known minerals such as molybdenum and strontium.
One gram of pink Himalayan salt contains 2.8 mg of potassium, 1.6 mg of calcium, 0.03 mg of iron, 1.06 mg of magnesium, and 368 mg of sodium. It contains zero calories and zero fats.
Potential Health Benefits of Himalayan pink salt
1/4. Promotes digestion
1. Himalayan pink salt stimulates salivary glands thus, releasing amylase which helps digest carbohydrates.
2. This salt further activates hydrochloric acid and an enzyme which helps digests proteins and further helps in breakdown the food.
3. Salt is believed to regulate metabolism, balance stomach acid, harmonize the acid-alkaline balance, and stimulate peristalsis of the digestive organs.
2/4. Improves respiratory problems
1. The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of Himalayan pink salt help loosen the excessive mucus, eliminates pathogens in the air such as pollens, and hastens mucus clearance.
2. Salt therapy using Himalayan pink salt is useful in treating several respiratory diseases, chest congestion and seasonal allergies.
3. Himalayan Pink salt is used as an inhaler which aids fight sinus infections, cold, and asthma.
3/4. Supports kidney and gallbladder function
1. The harmful toxins and residues are eliminated from the kidney by the Himalayan Pink Salt.
2. This salt also can dissolve and break down the kidney and gallbladder stones. It further clears calcification which leads to kidney and gallbladder stone formation.
4/4. Other possible benefits…
Apart from the health benefits mentioned above, Himalayan pink salt also produces a few more possible benefits such as, prevents dehydration,regulates blood sugar, balances body’s pH, induces healthy sleep, manages obesity, relieves sore throat, balances metabolism, lowers blood pressure, regulates hormonal balance, offers clear skin, boosts immunity, keeps bones healthy, cures headaches & menstrual cramps, kills acne-causing bacteria,
This salt also helps reduce common signs of aging, improves the absorption of nutrients from foods, aids vascular health, provides circulatory support, fosters a healthy libido, prevent goitre, supports thyroid and adrenal function and aids in overall hormone balance for men and women.
Himalayan Pink Salt offers various health benefits and is used extensively in traditional healing treatments, home decor and as a ‘finishing salt’ in the speciality cuisines.
How to use Himalayan Pink Salt?
Himalayan pink salt is used to add flavour to the dishes. It can be used in several different ways, some of them are as follows:
- To preserve food.
- To season meals.
- Used to sauté and grill.
- Used a pinch in desserts.
- Add it in marinades and sauces.
- To flavour soups, eggs, salads, pasta, meat, stir-fries, and potatoes.
Preparing Chocolate covered Popcorn sprinkled with Himalayan Pink Salt
Take 5 cups of popped popcorn in a large bowl.
Preheat the oven to 320 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Add ¾ cup of chocolate chips to a small bowl. Microwave it for 30-second, stir it so that it melts completely.
Pour the melted chocolate over the popcorn in a bowl, stirring to coat.
Spread the coated popcorn in a single layer over the baking sheet. Sprinkle 3 tsp of fine Himalayan Pink Salt over the coated popcorns.
Bake it for approximately 10 minutes or until crispy. Enjoy it, after it cools completely.