Heat stroke is also known as sunstroke, thermic fever or Siriasis.
In Heat Stroke condition the body is not able to balance its temperature and the temperature continues to rise rapidly to more than 105°F with central nervous system complications.
This condition is a serious medical emergency and at times can also be fatal. Delay in treatment of sunstroke can lead to severe damage to heart, brain, muscles and kidneys. Fainting, dizziness, mental confusion, disorientation, etc characterize heat stroke.
Few of the effective home remedies and natural cures for heat stroke are as mentioned below
1 :: Onion – Due to the cooling properties possessed by onions they are considered as the best foods during summers. Onions have high heat absorbing tendency. To prevent heat stroke, your diet during summers should include more of onions. Onions taken in any form helps in keeping heat away in summers. Onions can be used in salads or as mentioned below
- Take a teaspoon of onion juice, mix it with honey and consume it twice a day, after heatstroke.
- A thick paste of onion is made and applied on the forehead of the patient.
- Extract the juice of onion juice and apply it behind the ears.
- You can also carry a white onion in your bag while going out in the sun.
- Heat a mixture of roasted chopped onion with cumin seed powder and sugar and apply this mixture on the chest and behind the ears or else this mixture can also be consumed.
2 :: Basil – Basil is commonly known as Tusli.
- Consume basil leaves juice mixed with sugar. This will protect you from sunstroke. Basil leaves juice also acts as a natural sunscreen and protects the skin against excess heat.
3 :: Buttermilk – Buttermilk is considered as one of the beneficial remedy to release the excess heat in the body. Buttermilk has a cooling effect and is also of great help in promoting the general health. Buttermilk plays a crucial role in controlling the body temperature.
- Prepare buttermilk from fresh curd and consume a glass of buttermilk with every meal during summers. To add flavour you can add grounded cumin seeds and little salt.
4 :: Coriander – Coriander is also known as Cilantro. Coriander helps in cooling the body during summers. Coriander is not only beneficial in regulating the body temperature but also provides the body with essential nutrients. Hence, coriander in any form should be taken in summers.
- Consume coriander water mixed with sugar.
- Fresh coriander juice protects the body against sunstroke.
- Coriander can also be consumed in the form of chutney; chutney prepared from mint leaves and coriander can be taken.
5 :: Unripe Mangoes – Raw mango is a useful home remedy for prevention and cure of heat stroke.
- Prepare aam panna by taking some mangoes and boiling them. Sieve it and then add black salt, sugar, pepper and roasted cumin to it. Consume a glass of Aam panna just before going out in the sun.
- Take a mixture of pulp of raw mango roasted in coal ash with some sugar.
- Consume a mixture of juice made of green mango pulp and ripe tamarind.
- Boil some raw mangoes and then soak them in cold water. Later, the pulp of these mangoes is put in a blender along with some cumin seeds, coriander, salt, jaggery, pepper and water. Consume this mixture three to four times in a day to avoid heat stroke.
6 :: Green Coconut Green coconut water is one of the best home remedy for heat stroke and dehydration.
7 :: Tamarind Also known as ‘Imli’, tamarind is a key ingredient in sun-abundant countries due to its known cooling effect.
- Add some tamarind in boiling water then, sieve it and later add sugar to the mixture. To get relief from heat stroke, this tamarind drink can be taken two times in a day.
- Consume a mixture made by grinding some tamarind seeds with water and after straining it add little sugar.
8 :: Fenugreek – Fenugreek is commonly known as Methi. It is very useful in treating heat stroke.
- Dried fenugreek leaves are taken and soaked in cold water for some time. Then these leaves are crushed with hand and after straining the mixture little honey is added. This mixture is administered every two hourly to the patient.
9 :: Aloe Vera – Aloe vera juice and lotion is useful in decreasing heat stroke symptoms.
10 :: Wood apple – Wood apple is commonly known as Bilva.
- Juice of wood apple offers good protection from sunstroke. Juice of wood apple and sugar promotes heat absorption.
11 :: Ice Bags – Ice bags help in bringing down the body temperature quickly.
- To reduce the effects of sunstroke, ice bags are to be applied in the areas where huge blood vessels are positioned near the skin surface such as neck; under arms and in the groin.
12 :: Plums Soak some plums in water till they become soft then, mash them in the soaked water and strain it. Consume this water.
13 :: Black Peppercorns Make a paste of grinded black peppercorns in some amount of coconut milk. This cooling mixture can be applied on the body in the treatment of sun stroke.
14 :: Fennel Besides the benefits for anemia, indigestion, flatulence, constipation, colic, diarrhea, respiratory disorders, menstrual disorders, fennel is a very good herb for people suffering from heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- Make a mixture of 5 gm fennel seeds, 2 gm rose petals, 2 gm java flower and 2 gm gojuiva flower and grind it. Later add some sugar or milk to this mixture. Small amount of this mixture is to be consumed for approximately three to four days while treating sun stroke.
15 :: Watermelons – Watermelons have a cooling effect over the body and possess a large amount of water content. Regular consumption of watermelons during summers aids in the prevention of heat strokes and also in reducing the body temperature. Watermelon supplies the body with the essential nutrients and also replenishes the lost fluids.
16 :: Fluid Intake – To avoid dehydration caused due to sunstroke, drink plenty of water and fresh juices frequently throughout the day. Water helps in keeping your body well hydrated and also maintains body homeostasis.
- Juices, electrolytes and glucose water can be consumed regularly. Fresh juices can offer nutrients to the body. Increased intake of fluids help in eliminating the detrimental toxins from the body thus, leading to quick recovery. Intake of excess amount of fluids prevents the risk of dehydration.
- Intake of alcohol is restricted as alcohol increases the body heat. Similarly caffeinated beverages should also be avoided as they increase the frequency of urination leading to loss of water.
17 :: Diet – Diet should be composed of high quantity of vegetables and fresh fruits which have a cooling effect on the body and which are rich in water content.
- Diet should positively include food substances such as oranges, mango, watermelons, pineapples, grapefruits, onions, cucumber, lemons, mint and yoghurt.
- Excess sodium can hinder the regular production of sweat in the body increasing the risk of sunstroke hence; food substances high in salt content should be avoided. Healthy sources of protein rich foods such as nuts, beans, pulses, cheese and olive oils should be consumed as low blood sugar may trigger the symptoms of sunstroke.
- Avoid giving fried food to the patient.
Above mentioned are some of the effective home remedies which can help in preventing heat absorption and can also treat sunstroke.