A popular summer drink, Jal jeera is a nutritious, thirst quenching, low calorie drink that helps to cool the body heat.
Jal jeera is usually served before a meal as it acts as an appetiser and it further activates the taste buds and the digestive juices.
Nutritional Value of Jal jeera
The literal translation of Jal jeera in Hindi is ‘Jal’ which means water and ‘jeera’ means cumin. But then, this drink is much more than the combination of just cumin and water. Jal jeera is a mix of roasted cumin powder, ginger powder, coriander and mint, chili powder, pepper and black salt.
Jal jeera is a low-calorie drink. One glass of Jal jeera contains around 7 calories. It contains 67% fat and 33% carbohydrate. This drink fails to contain any saturated fats, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, trans fat, sugar or cholesterol. It contains 1,032mg of sodium.
Potential health benefits of Jal jeera…
Boosts the Digestion Process
1. The black salt and cumin content of Jal jeera helps in boosting the digestion process by fighting against the intestinal gas.
2. It acts as an appetiser and it further activates the taste buds and the digestive juices.
3. Jal jeera stimulates the secretion of glucose, carbohydrate, and fat breaking enzymes thus, enhancing metabolism and maintaining the digestive system.
4. The ginger and lemon content of Jal jeera aids in treating nausea and vomiting. Consumption of this drink by pregnant women eradicates morning sickness.
5. Consumption of Jal jeera, twice a day helps in relieving constipation.
6. Jal jeera combats several digestive conditions such as chronic dysentery, diarrhea, flatulence, atonic dyspepsia, malabsorption syndrome, etc.
1. Cumin seeds possess gas-relieving properties that help prevent acidity.
2. If Jal jeera is taken after consumption of a heavy meal then, the chances of acidity can be reduced.
Enhances the Immune system
1. The cumin seed content in Jal jeera is high in iron which plays a vital role in preserving the adequate functioning of the immune system.
2. The cumin seeds further possess a sufficient quantity of antioxidant rich Vitamin A and Vitamin C thus, boosting the immune system and preventing various types of immune disease.
3. The mango powder ingredient of Jal jeera too is a rich source of Vitamin C which helps in enhancing immunity and treats conditions such as scurvy.
Promotes Weight Loss
Taking Jal jeera twice a day suppresses the appetite thus, the individual consumes intake of fewer calories thereby, leading to weight loss.
Prevents & Treats Anemia
The cumin content is a rich source of iron. Iron helps in forming red blood corpuscles which increase the haemoglobin thus, treating and preventing anaemia.
The fresh mint and coriander leaves regulate the body temperature and keeps it cool.
Helps in Detoxification
The antioxidants present in the cumin seeds help in eliminating the toxic material from the human body thus, benefitting the liver, stomach, and kidney.
Apart from these benefits, Jal jeera can also help in enhancing memory, promoting sleep, boosting the respiratory system, etc.
How to make this drink?
A mix of roasted cumin powder, ginger powder, coriander and mint, chili powder, pepper, and black salt are mixed with water and consumed chilled. To further enhance the taste of this drink, in certain parts of India, mango powder and lemon are added.