Menopause can be managed naturally…
Managing the menopause naturally is an aim every menopausal women should aim at. The natural ways to manage menopause include diet, lifestyle changes and other natural supplements.
Menopause gives rise to few symptoms which differ from person to person. There are a few women who are symptomatic while few are asymptomatic.
Shift in the balance of estrogen and serotonin are the primary causes of menopause induced mood shift
Some of the symptoms experienced are major mood fluctuations, hot flashes, irregular periods, sleep problems, night sweats, weight gain, depression, vaginal dryness, decreased libido, headache, urinary tract infections and memory problems.
The duration and severity of the above-mentioned symptoms may vary from woman to woman. Some of the above symptoms may even last for months or years.
These menopausal symptoms may be quite distressing and hence most of the women search out for ways to reduce or manage these menopausal symptoms naturally.
Some of the natural ways to help overcome the menopause symptoms
Leading a healthy lifestyle is most important and primary method to manage menopause naturally. Some of the other methods to counteract and manage the symptoms naturally are…
- Soy constitutes high levels of estrogen-like compounds which mimic women’s natural estrogen, they are known as phytoestrogens.
- Phytoestrogens mimic the effects of natural hormones produced by the body.
- It is believed that these phytoestrogens help the body in countering the symptoms of menopause such as reduces night flashes, reduces cancer risk, etc.
- Rich food sources of soy are soy protein, soybeans, tofu, miso & soy milk.
- Flaxseeds constitute another type of phytoestrogen which is known as lignin.
- Lignin too helps in reducing menopausal symptoms.
3/12. Omega-3 fats
- Consumption of omega-3 fats helps in the production of hormones which may further help in decreasing menopausal & postmenopausal complaints.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are essential in maintaining the health of heart of the menopausal women. Menopause fails to cause any heart disease but post menopause, risk towards certain heart diseases rises.
- Foods rich in omega-3 fats are salmon, sardines, mackerel, etc.
4/12. Organic fruits and vegetables
- They contain phytosterols which help balance hormones.
5/12. Cruciferous vegetables
- Cruciferous vegetables contain indole-3-carbinol, which aids in balancing levels of estrogen.
- Some of the cruciferous vegetables are broccoli, cabbage and kale.
6/12. High-fiber foods
- High-fiber foods contain lignin, a type of phytoestrogen which mimics the effects of natural hormones produced by the body.
- High-fiber foods aid in balancing the production of estrogen.
- Sources rich in fiber are cereals, seeds, beans, nuts, legumes, avocado, etc.
7/12. Unrefined Oils
- Unrefined oils offer essential vitamin E which aids in the regulation of production of estrogen.
- Unrefined oils such as palm oil, virgin coconut oil, flaxseed oil & extra-virgin olive oil can be consumed.
8/12. Intake of Water
- Consumption of adequate quantity of water should be encouraged as water helps in replacing the fluid that has been lost from hot flashes and shall also help in reducing bloating.
9/12. Perform Regular Exercise
- Exercise plays the important role in managing several risk factors that are linked with complications of menopause. Research suggest exercising is the simplest and most effect way to manage menopause naturally.
10/12. Reduce and Manage Stress
- Few women experience anxiety, mood swings and depression during menopause. Stress can further worsen these symptoms. Managing stress helps in decreasing such emotional behaviors linked with menopause.
- Yoga helps in decreasing menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes & sleep disorders.
- Some effective ways of reducing & managing stress include meditation, guided visualization, aromatherapy, spiritual practices, etc.
11/12. Herbal remedies
- There is a huge range of herbal remedies that play a vital role in reducing the symptoms of menopause.
- Some of the herbal remedies are Black Cohosh, Ginkgo biloba, American Ginseng, Red clover, licorice root & St. John’s Wort.
12/12. Essential Oils
There are certain essential oils which play an important role in helping to manage menopause naturally.
- Clary sage oil is one of the essential oils used in balancing hormones. It offers relief in reducing the symptoms of menopause.
- Roman Chamomile oil decreases stress related to menopause.
- Peppermint oil helps in keeping the body cool from hot flashes.
- Thyme oil aids in balancing hormones.
Instead of HRT and other related ways to manage menopause, please give a shot to the above mentioned methods to manage menopause naturally. Along with the same, you can also take the help of natural healing therapies like Ayurveda and Homeopathy.