Pathimugam – A native tree of Kerala state, also known as East Indian Rosewood, is a medicinal tree. They use the bark of this medicinal tree, which when boiled with water, turns into a potent herbal water, full of various health benefits.
Possible health benefits of Pathimugam water…
1/10. Prevents skin infection
Pathimukham Water has antimicrobial properties that restrict methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteria, which causes joint infections, food poisoning, and skin infections.
2/10. Prevents acne
1. Washing face with Pathimukham Water is an effective acne treatment.
2. Brazilein content present in the extract of Pathimukham fights against Propionibacterium acnes which give rise to acne and inflammation of the eyelids.
3/10. Rich In anti-oxidants
Pathimugam is a rich source of antioxidants that help fight against the harmful effects of free radicals.
4/10. Good for the heart health
The red pigment, Brazilein of Pathimukham has positive effects on cardiac health.
5/10. Helpful against seizures
1. Extracts of pathimugam possess anticonvulsant properties.
2. Those suffering from convulsions due to epilepsy or other disorders should consume Pathimukham.
6/10. Possesses anti-allergic properties
Sappan chalcone present in Pathimukham possesses powerful anti-allergic effects.
7/10. Quench thirst
Pathimugam is a natural coolant. It helps quench thirst during hot summer days.
8/10. Prevents water borne diseases
1. Boiling drinking water with pathimugam helps purify the water. It prevents the harmful effects of water-borne disease.
2. It aids calm stomach disorders.
9/10. Helps purify blood
Drinking pathimugam helps purify the blood. It also cures blood disorders.
10/10. Other possible health benefits…
Pathimugam has certain other advantages for human body. The wood of the tree is a prophylactic and its powder is used to alleviate pain and inflammation caused by external injuries.
The benefit of this water as blood purifier is already discussed. It has also been found useful to treat certain conditions of the blood, namely dysmenorrhea and amenorrhea. Another traditional use is to reduce instances of abdominal pain in women, following child- birth. Other probable uses could be in prevention of certain types of cancers, kidney ailments and piles.
Pathimugam/ Sappan wood also known as East Indian rosewood help neutralise harmful effects of water-borne disease, amongst the other mentioned health benefits.
How to prepare Pathimugham water?
Boil 1 litre water in a vessel for 2-3 minutes.
Add 1 tsp pathimugam to it.
Once the mixture boils, switch off the flame and then filter the mixture to remove the wood pieces.
…Side Effects of Pathimugam Water
Pathimugam water is being consumed for hundreds of years in Kerala and other parts of southern India. It is a natural way of disinfecting the water and has many health benefits which have been discussed above. These benefits are derived when it is drank in moderation.
Pathimugam water also has certain side effects or harmful effects. It is important to know these side effects so as to use this water with care.
1. It is best avoided by pregnant and breastfeeding women. In South Korea, it is used for abortion.
2. It is also not recommended when you are having heavy menstrual bleeding or any abdominal disease.
3. Even excessive intake of this water can also cause nausea and dizziness.