Pomegranate, also known as ‘Anaar’ in Hindi, is one of the most revered fruit through time immemorial due to the immense medicinal properties and health benefits it offers. Besides these properties, the fruit is also held sacred and many of the religions stories in cultures like Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam and Hinduism are woven around the fruit.
Nutritional facts of Pomegranate
Anaar offers abundant nutrients and minerals. It is very low in sodium and fat.
As per the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, 100 gm of pomegranate contains 83 kcal, 1.67 gm of proteins, 4 gm of fiber, 18.7 gm of carbohydrates, 1.17 gm of fat, 0.3 mg of iron, 10 mg of calcium, 236 mg of potassium, 3 mg of sodium, 12 mg of magnesium, 36 mg of phosphorous, 0.35 mg of zinc, 10.2 mg of vitamin C, 38 mcg of folate, 0.2 mg of niacin, and 16.4 mcg of vitamin K.
Potential Health Benefits of Pomegranate (Anaar)
1/5. Prevents arthritis
1. The anti-inflammatory properties of pomegranate help in fighting against arthritis and joint pains. It has the ability to reduce inflammation.
2. Pomegranate extracts help in blocking the enzymes that are responsible for causing joint pains. It helps in reducing the cartilage damage.
2/5. Fights against bacterial and fungal infections
1. The two compounds, punicic acid and punicalagin present in pomegranate help fight microorganisms. They combat fungal infections.
2. The anti fungal and antibacterial properties of pomegranate prevent dental infections.
3/5. Boosts immunity
1. The abundant amounts of anti-inflammatory compounds present in pomegranates help in boosting immunity.
2. Anaar aids maintain a healthy immune system and prevent common infections and illnesses.
3. The vitamin C content of pomegranate helps in promoting antibody production thus, helps develop immunity.
4. Anaar is useful in immune-related disorders such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
4/5. Improves memory
1. Extracts of pomegranate help in the improvement of verbal and visual memory, prevent deficits in memory after surgery and improves memory.
2. The high concentration of antioxidants in pomegranate arrests the progress of Alzheimer’s disease thus prevents Alzheimer’s disease.
5/5. Other possible benefits…
Anaar produces several health benefits, apart from the health benefits mentioned above, it also produces few more such as prevents atherosclerosis, fights erectile dysfunction, lowers the risk of heart disease, reduces blood pressure, delays premature ageing, boosts exercise performance, promotes skin health, improves bone health, helps fight prostate cancer, effective against breast cancer, helps in digestion, lowers stress levels, prevents cancer, reduces fertility in women, regulate blood sugar, and builds bones, cartilage and muscle.
Pomegranate juice is known to help decrease the risk of kidney patients developing cardiovascular disease, due to high concentration of antioxidants. Pomegranate can help remove free radicals from the body.
How to incorporate Pomegranates in the Diet?
Pomegranates can be consumed in the fresh form or can be blended into a juice, sauce, or dip. Some of the ways by which pomegranate can be incorporated in the diet are as follows…
- Added to muffins.
- Used to prepare tea.
- Added in a fruit salad.
- Added into smoothies.
- Used as a juice or milkshake.
- Blended into a sauce or a dip.
- Sprinkled in oatmeal or yogurt.
- Added to cocktails, or mocktails.
- Used as a garnish to a dish or drink.
- Sprinkled over roasted or grilled meat dishes.
How to prepare Pomegranate Detox Tea?
Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of pomegranate seeds in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil on a medium flame for around 3-5 minutes.
Let it cool slightly and then blend it till it achieves a smooth consistency. Strain the mixture to prevent big lumps.
Mix ½ cup brewed green tea, 1 tsp lemon juice, and 1 tsp Organic Honey (optional). Serve it warm or chilled.