Ragi, also known as nachani or finger millet, is a highly nutritious cereal loaded with nutrients and multivitamins. It is also a rich source of carbohydrates.
Nachani is gluten-free and hence can be safely consumed by those who are are gluten intolerant.
As ragi is too small to be polished hence, it is usually consumed in its pure form. Ragi flour is prepared by crushing the dried grains, drying and then grinding them.
Nutritional Facts of Ragi/Finger Millet
Ragi comprises of several essential macronutrients such as fibre, carbohydrates, proteins, fats, minerals, and vitamins. It contains the least quantity of cholesterol and sodium. In a 100 gm serving of ragi flour, there is 25% of carbohydrates, 14% fibre, and 10% protein. It is a rich source of calcium with 26% and potassium 27%.
Potential health benefits of Ragi Malt…
1/7. Controls Blood Sugar Levels
1. The high content of dietary fibre and polyphenols controls blood sugar levels and lowers the risk of diabetes.
2. Fibre slows down the pace of digestions which lowers the blood sugar levels.
3. The magnesium content of finger millet enhances insulin response by decreasing insulin resistance.
2/7. Good for Heart
1. As Ragi contains no cholesterol, it can be safely consumed by those with heart complaints.
2. Ragi contains abundant content of dietary fibre and niacin which enhances good HDL levels and reduces bad LDL levels. This prevents fatty deposits in the heart hence, enhancing heart health.
3. Ragi aids in controlling high blood pressure.
3/7. Useful in Weight Loss
1. Abundant amount of dietary fibre in ragi combined with water helps in keeping the stomach full, leading to reduce appetite and weight loss.
2. Tryptophan also helps in reducing appetite.
4/7. Reverses Skin Aging
1. Ragi contains essential amino acids such as Methionine and Lysine which helps in the formation and maintenance of collagen and it also makes the skin tissues less prone to sagging and wrinkles.
2. Ragi maintains the vitality of the skin by preventing premature aging. It can be used as an anti-aging drink
5/7. Enhances Bone Strength
1. Ragi is loaded with a huge amount of calcium and vitamin D making it enhances bone strength.
2. Ragi helps prevent bone erosion, develops bones in children and maintains bone health.
3, It may also help in averting osteoporosis.
6/7. Treats Anaemia
1. Ragi is a good source of thiamine and iron, which aids in the production of RBC thus, treating anemia.
2. The Vitamin C content of ragi helps in the easy absorption of iron into the bloodstream.
7/7. Other possible health benefits…
Ragi malt is rich in anti-oxidants which prevent oxidation and thus reduce the risk of cancer. Being gluten free, it is healthy to use it. Being rich in fiber and protein, it helps develop physical endurance. Ragi has anti-cancer properties as well.
Gluten free, ragi has less fat but more dietary fibre as compared to rice and other grains. In certain parts of India, ragi porridge is still the first food given to babies.
How to Make Ragi Malt?
Take ½ cup Ragi flour in a bowl and slowly add 1 cup of water to it while continuously stirring the mixture to avoid the formation of lumps, till a smooth paste is obtained. Keep this mixture aside.
Boil ¼ cup of milk in a pan.
Add the ragi flour paste to the milk, while continuously stirring.
Add 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder and 1 tablespoon of sugar and let it simmer for 5 minutes on low flame, while stirring continuously.
Let the drink cool and then serve the energy drink.