Sattu is also known as roasted gram flour or chatu. A staple food of Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh, sattu is made by roasting Bengal gram and then by pounding it into sattu powder.
Though mainly made of the same ingredient, besan is the flour of ground raw gram, whereas sattu is the flour of roasted gram.
Refreshing and healthy, sattu is consumed as a coolant in summers. Sattu drink is loaded with ample of nutrients, proteins, and fibre. Hence, it offers several health benefits.
Sattu has a high content of proteins, fibre, calcium, iron, manganese and magnesium. 100 grams of sattu comprises 406 calories; 65.2% of carbohydrates; 20.6% of proteins, 7.2% of fats and 1.35% of fibre.
Potential health benefits of Sattu Drink …
1/9. Sattu for Digestion
1. The high amount of fibre in sattu enhances bowel movement and promotes digestion.
2. It cleanses and detoxifies the colon.
3. It is an excellent natural remedy for indigestion, acidity, flatulence, and constipation.
2/9. Sattu for Weight Loss
1. The fibre content of sattu keeps the stomach full and reduces the appetite, hence prevents unwanted hunger pangs.
2. It further helps in increasing metabolism, decreasing the extra fat and aids the body in burning calories thereby, aiding in weight loss.
3/9. Offers a great source of Energy
Drinking sattu juice on an empty stomach stimulates the growth of the red blood cells. With an increase in red blood cells, there is more oxygen in the body which offers increased energy.
4/9. Sattu Drink as a Coolant
1. Sattu ka sharbat keeps the body hydrated and cools it down.
2. During summers, it prevents the overheating of the body and lowers the body temperature to a greater extent.
5/9. Controls High Blood Sugar levels
Sattu been low in glycemic index controls the blood sugar levels, hence it is of great use in diabetes.
6/9. Controls High Blood Pressure
1. The low sodium content and high nutrients of sattu ka sharbat aids in controlling high blood pressure.
2. The high fibre content of Sattu is beneficial for people suffering from high cholesterol.
7/9. Sattu for Skin
1. The iron content of sattu provides a high energy level which offers a glow to the skin. Sattu ka sherbet maintains the glow of the skin and keeps it hydrated.
2. Sattu averts the wear and tear of the skin cells.
8/9. Benefits of Sattu for Women
1. It is of great use for women especially during menstruation and pregnancy as it replenishes the lost nutrients in the body.
2. It comprises significant quantity of minerals, vitamins, and proteins thus, providing energy to the body.
9/9. Other possible health benefits…
Sattu has certain other benefits as well. It treats hair related complaints. It has detoxifying properties which flushes out the toxins from the body and helps body have better immunity. It also helps in improving the movement of bowels so that the digestion is improved. This increases its appetite but also helps in loss of weight. Its benefits for hair have also been noticed. It prevents hair fall and makes follicles strong.
Sattu Ka Sharbet – Besides its cooling ‘taaseer’ effect, it is also one of the cheapest source of Vegan protein. Sattu helps flush out toxins and is good for people suffering from diabetes.
How to Make Sattu ka Sharbat?
Take 100gms sattu in a bowl. Add 400ml of water slowly, initially forming a paste and then dilute the mixture further making it into a drink.
Add the juice of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp diced onion, and a pinch of salt. Mix all the ingredients and then pour them into a glass.