Solkadhi – A Health Drink
Solkadhi is a health drink belonging to the Konkan – Goa and Maharashtra region. This drink is made from coconut milk and Kokum fruit.
Nutritional Value of Solkadhi
Solkadhi contains fat, sodium, potassium, carbohydrates, sugar, dietary fibres, calcium, iron, magnesium, niacin, zinc, selenium, phosphorus and Vitamin A. Solkadhi is a rich source of iron and calcium.
Possible health benefits of Solkadhi…
1/8. Acts As A Cooling Agent
Solkadhi cools the body as it can act as a natural cooling agent.
2/8. Aids In Improving Digestion
1. Solkadhi promotes digestion by cleansing the digestive system.
2. It relieves several digestive complaints.
3. It aids in the absorption of food; prevents acidity, gas, indigestion, diarrhea, constipation and abdominal pain.
3/8. Good For The Heart
1. Kokum is considered to be an amazing cardiac tonic. Polyphenols like hydroxy-citric-acids that are present in kokum aids in decreasing triglyceride levels and in reducing the risk linked to coronary heart disease.
3. The anti-inflammatory properties of Garcinol, the active ingredient in kokumis known to protect the heart.
4. The potassium content of coconut milk is beneficial in high blood pressure.
5. Lauric acid present in coconut milk produces a beneficial impact on cholesterol levels.
4/8. Prevents Cancer
1. The garcinol content of kokum is an anti-carcinogenic that restricts the growth of cancerous cells hence, prevents cancer.
2. The spread of malignant tissue is halted by garcinol, which will hamper the mutation of the abnormal cells.
5/8. Controls Blood Sugar
1. The high fiber content of solkadhi aids in controlling the blood sugar levels.
2. Consumption of solkadhi is known to reduce postprandial blood sugars.
6/8. Helps In Weight Loss
1. Hydroxy-citric acid present in solkadhi creates fullness in the body thereby decreasing the consumption of food.
2. Kokum restricts lipogenesis and acts as a catalyst in burning body fat.
7/8. Keeps Skin Healthy and Firm
1. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidative compounds present in solkadhi make the skin soft, supple, and radiant.
2. Kokum inhibits the action of enzyme elastase which decreases the breakdown of elastin. Thus, the skin becomes firmer and healthier.
8/8. Other possible health benefits
Some of the other uses of Solkadhi are prevention of nausea, headaches and flu and cold. So, while it acts as a cooling agent during summers, it also protects against cold and flu.
Solkadhi is usually consumed after meals, as it helps in the digestion. Solkadhi, apart from its taste also imparts numerous health benefits.
How to prepare Solkadhi?
1. Take a bowl full of water and soak 12 kokum into it, for an hour. Stir it for some time and the color of kokum will gradually begin to release turning the water red.
2. Squeeze the kokum pods to extract the juice. Drain the pods and retain the water and the extract.
3. In a mixer, blend 1 cup freshly grated coconut with sufficient water and make a smooth paste. Extract the fresh coconut milk by straining the paste.
4. Add 2 cloves of chopped garlic, red onions, 1 green chilli, 1- 2 curry leaves, ½ teaspoon cumin powder and extracted fresh coconut milk to the kokum juice. Later you can add salt.
5. Refrigerate the drink and serve it chilled.