Sugarcane ‘ganne ka ras’ Juice
Sugarcane juice which is commonly known as ‘ganne ka ras’, is a syrupy, sweet, relishing and nourishing liquid. It is a juice that is extracted from peeled sugar cane. Sugar cane juice is also processed to make jaggery, cane sugar, molasses and brown sugar.
Nutritional value of sugarcane
Alkaline in nature, sugarcane contains several nutrients, it is a rich source of carbohydrates and sugars. One cup (240ml) of sugarcane juice contains 183 calories, 50 gm sugar, 13 gms of fibre.
Antioxidants such as polyphenols and flavonoids compounds are present in sugarcane juice. Sugar cane juice also contains calcium, iron, sodium, magnesium and potassium.
Possible health benefits of sugarcane juice…
1/8. Eliminates toxins from the body
1. The diuretic property of sugar cane juice cleanses the body by eliminating the harmful toxins and other foreign elements. Thus, it prevents urinary tract infection.
2. It further prevents prostatitis, kidney stones, and sexually transmitted diseases.
2/8. Enhances digestion
1. The potassium content of sugarcane juice balances the pH levels of the stomach and secretes digestive juices thus, preventing stomach infection.
2. The potassium content also helps in treating constipation.
3. The sugarcane juice being alkaline helps in neutralizing the stomach acids thus, treating acidity or heartburn.
3/8. Useful in skin care
1. The glycolic acid content of sugarcane helps maintain skin radiance. It further prevents wrinkles.
2. The antioxidants, flavonoids and phenolic compounds moisturize the skin, achieving glowing and soft skin.
3. Sugarcane juice helps decrease blemishes, delays aging, maintains the skin supple and fights against acne.
4/8. Provides instant energy
1. The sucrose content in sugarcane is easily absorbed by the body thus, providing an adequate amount of energy.
2. The presence of natural sugars and essential minerals hydrates and energizes.
5/8. Helpful in fever
Febrile disorders cause protein loss. Consumption of sugarcane juice replenishes the protein loss thus; it helps treat fevers.
6/8. Strengthens bones and teeth
1. Sugarcane is rich in calcium thus, helps develop bones and teeth.
2. Apart from calcium, the other contents such as iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium play a major role in strengthening the bones. Thus, reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
3. The mineral content of sugarcane helps to build up the teeth enamel, thereby preventing tooth decay.
7/8. Helps prevent cancer
The flavonoids content of sugarcane restricts cancer cell multiplication in the mammary glands, thus decreasing the chances of breast cancer.
8/8. Other possible health benefits…
The sugarcane juice improves functioning of liver, helps in jaundice, cures febrile disorders, overcomes bad breath, helps in healing wounds, helps in bowel movement and can help fight fatigue and tiredness. You must have felt refreshed drinking a sip of sugarcane juice mixed with mint and lemon. It aids weight loss, prevents DNA damage, treats acidity and can be helpful for diabetic patients under certain conditions.
Alkaline in nature, sugarcane juice is a natural diuretic. Helps in the treatment of UTI (urinary Tract Infection), kidney stones and ensures proper functioning of kidneys.
How to make sugarcane juice?
1. Take 1 ripe sugarcane, peel the outer skin of the sugarcane and cut it into small pieces.
2. Put the sugarcane pieces and 1 tablespoon of chopped ginger in the blender and blend well.
3. With the help of the strainer, strain the sugarcane juice.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and black salt for taste. Add ice-cubes and serve chilled.