Toe Squat and its variations like Vajrasana provide the following benefits…
1. The compression on the toes stimulates all the meridians of the lower body.
2. The spleen, liver, stomach and gall bladder get opened with the front of the ankle getting compressed.
3. Toe is the confluence of all the six lower body meridians that get stimulated.
4. Joints like toes and ankles
Signs you should take care of
1. Knees may get strained by sitting on the heels
2. In case of tightened ankles or toe joints, avoid staying for long on this posture.
How to start this asana?
1. To start with, put your feet together and sit on your heels.
2. After tucking the toes, try to balance your body on the balls of the feet, instead of on the tippy toes.
3. Bend down for tucking the little toes below.
Optional Alternative Arrangements
1. If you feel too strained, use knees to stand up and relieve most of the pressure on the joints of your toes. You can once again revert, sitting on your heels, when you feel comfortable.
2. Stay off in case you feel pain.
3. Exercises of shoulders such as Eagle arms or Cow Face arms could be combined with this posture.
4. In case you feel discomfort with your knees, put a blanket below the knees or cushion in between the hips and heels.
5. Alternatively, a rolled-up towel behind the knees that aids in releasing the knee joint.
How to revert to normal?
Reverting to normal is the process to be enjoyed every moment. Be slow in performing this by leaning forward onto the hands, lifting the hips forward, and releasing the feet. Pointing your feet backwards, once again sit on your heels. Take a sigh of relief.
Stretching of ankles or Child’s Pose or Saddle that opens your ankles.
Recommended Stretch time:
Within 2 to 3 minutes
Synonymous Yang Asana:
Tucking the toes under, in Seiza (Japanese way of sitting) or Vairasana
1. The level of intensity needs to be monitored to avoid discomfort or pain.
2. A break needs to be taken between sides while performing shoulder work by continuing in the pose. Come back tothe Toe stretch after doing an Ankle stretch and resume performing on the shoulder on the other side.