Turmeric milk, a mixture of turmeric and milk, also known as ‘Golden milk’ or ‘Haldi doodh’ is a traditional Indian drink recommended as a remedial aid for almost most of the ailments.
When turmeric is added to milk, it creates an ideal medium through which the active compound of turmeric, curcumin travels rapidly to the fats and tissues, making its absorption quicker. The presence of a chemical compound, curcumin in turmeric makes turmeric beneficial to health.
One can also make vegan turmeric milk by replacing animal sourced milk with coconut milk and a dash of coconut oil
Turmeric is considered to be the storehouse of healthy properties. Hence, it is embedded with several health benefits.
One tablespoon of turmeric powder is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich powerhouse that comprises of 29 calories, 6.31gms of carbohydrates, 2gms of fiber, 0.9gms of proteins and 0.3gms each of fat and sugar. It also contains several minerals and vitamins.
Potential health benefits of Turmeric Milk…
Boosts the Immune System
Curcumin, the ingredient within turmeric possesses anti-fungal, antiseptic, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties thus, it helps fight various infections. Turmeric helps in boosting the body’s immunity.
1. Turmeric possesses anti-inflammatory properties – it reduces inflammation. Reduction of inflammation can help prevent arthritis, cancer, heart disease, etc.
2. This anti-inflammatory property decreases the joint pain of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
1. The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric aids in digestion thus, preventing several digestive complaints such as stomach ulcers, diarrhoea, etc.
2. Turmeric boosts the production of bile which smoothens the digestion process.
3. Turmeric treats several other gastrointestinal infections, gas, bloating, and heartburn.
Adds Glow to the Skin
1. The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin help in eradicating acne, aging, skin eruptions, scars, and eczema.
2. It further helps in clarifying the complexion and adds glow to the skin.
3. Turmeric smoothen the skin, lightens the blemishes and removes fine lines.
Prevents Heart Disease
1. Turmeric lowers the risk of heart disease.
2. The active principle of turmeric, curcumin enhances the function of blood vessel linings.
3. Turmeric’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties protect against heart disease and benefit heart function.
Effective as a painkiller
1. The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric help it to calm all types of pains.
2. Turmeric can prevent all kinds of aches and pains.
Promotes Good Sleep
Turmeric milk produces amino acid – tryptophan which helps to relax, calm the mood and promote good sleep.
1. The active compound of turmeric, curcumin accelerates mood and decreases the symptoms of depression.
2. Curcumin accelerates the levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) which has the potential to lower the symptoms of depression.
3. Curcumin can also treat inflammation linked to mood disorders.
4. Turmeric may also enhance brain function.
How to Make Turmeric Milk?
Add a pinch of haldi to a cup of milk and some sugar/ jaggery for taste. Stir it. Drink it hot or warm.